Everyone has a story: Kapil Galla

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

Kapil Galla, a PhD student in mining, geological, and geophysical engineering, pauses for a moment while doing his impression of President Barack Obama in his office in the J.W. Harshbarger building in Wednesday, April 14. His five minute movie Man of the Moment,
Lisa Beth Earle
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat Kapil Galla, a PhD student in mining, geological, and geophysical engineering, pauses for a moment while doing his impression of President Barack Obama in his office in the J.W. Harshbarger building in Wednesday, April 14. His five minute movie “Man of the Moment,

“”Everyone Has a Story”” is a weekly segment in the Arizona Daily Wildcat that aims to tell the story of an interesting person on the UA campus. This week, the Daily Wildcat interviewed Kapil Galla, a first-year doctoral student in mining and geological engineering, aspiring actor and upcoming intern at the Cannes International Film Festival.

“”If astronomy is for the stars, acting is to become a star,”” Galla said of his two career aspirations.

Galla’s passion for both acting and space exploration began when he was a child in Hyderabad, India.

Galla developed a curiosity about space when his brother told him that the moon is actually much smaller than stars even though it looks bigger.

“”During hot India summers, we slept outside on the balcony and looked at the stars,”” Galla said.

Born in southern India, Galla’s interest in becoming a global actor was sparked from his childhood love for films.

“”I grew (up) watching movies. When I see a movie, I feel … like one of the characters,”” Galla said.

As he watches films, Galla imagines how he would act in the roles on the screen.

“”I do a lot of observations and imitations of others,”” he said. “”Consciously or unconsciously, I try to imitate people, such as actors, people I meet and my friends.””

While he remembers imitating classmates in school, Galla now enjoys doing impressions of Al Pacino and President Barack Obama, among other famous people.

Galla moved to the United States four years ago to be a research scholar in the UA astronomy department. He went on to get his master’s degree in aerospace engineering, and is now pursuing his Ph.D.

“”There are two fields I want to work in during my life, space exploration and acting,”” Galla said. “”I know they’re completely different from each other, but I’d love to balance both of these.””

During his two-week Cannes International Film Festival internship, Galla expects to work with either a major Hollywood production company or a talent agency. He will also be working with students to produce an end-of-the-internship showcase.

“”It’s going to be an intensive program (but) I don’t mind working 24 hours a day, because this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and I’m really excited for it,”” Galla said.

Last year, Galla made a film called “”The Man of the Moment,”” about Obama. He won the Golden Tripod Award for Best Actor for his role as Obama at the Campus MovieFest Western Regional

Grand Finale. 

“”Even though I have never met him, he gave me inspiration and energy by his speeches and talks,”” Galla said of Obama.

The etymology behind Gallagher Theater, it has an ironic meaning that holds a lot of weight for Galla.

“”If you look at the word, ‘Galla’ is my last name, and ‘gher’ means ‘home’ back in India,”” Galla said.