Aaron Gordon fits well at small forward for Arizona Wildcats basketball

Ryan Revock/The Daily Wildcat

Ryan Revock/The Daily Wildcat

Wildcat freshman Aaron Gordon will likely be one of the most exciting players in college basketball this upcoming season. The 6-foot-8, 210 pound forward is projected to spend just one year at the UA before moving on to the NBA, and he has the potential to play a vital role in leading Arizona’s pursuit of an NCAA title.

Gordon has an explosive 34.5-inch vertical jump, excels at dunking and has acquired a unique balance of agility and power. Coming out of high school, ESPN.com ranked him as the No. 2 power forward in his class. This season, Gordon will be available to play both forward positions, but is expected to start at small forward. He will likely line up alongside post players Brandon Ashley and Kaleb Tarczewski in more of a perimeter role.

This has led some to wonder if Gordon will adjust to the new role, or if it would be better for him to remain at power forward.

“I can play the three [small forward],” Gordon told ESPN’s Jeff Goodman. “I know for a fact I can play the three. If I am fortunate enough to make the next level, I want to play the three.”

Gordon is a great fit at small forward because he possesses the athleticism and agility needed for the position. His size and speed will put him at a unique advantage, as he will be quicker than defenders of comparable size, and possesses more power than defenders of comparable quickness.

As a small forward, he will be expected to put up more jump shots as he extends his range toward the perimeter, which Gordon said he has been working on.

“I’m developing my shot every day, and people will be surprised how well I can shoot it,” Gordon said. “I have a lot more to my game [now].”

A big reason as to why Gordon chose to come to Arizona was because he’s been told that he will play the wing but also have the option to move to power forward on occasion, he said. As it turns out, that is exactly what he’ll be doing.

— Follow Evan Rosenfeld @EvanRosenfeld17