Juan Aguilera dominates as Arizona baseball beats BYU, 6-1

Stan Liu/Arizona Athletics
Juan Aguilera is a senior pitcher for Arizona’s baseball team.

After winning two out of three this past weekend at USC, the Arizona baseball team kept up its strong play with a 6-1 win against the BYU Cougars.

Arizona has been exceptional at home this year with a record of 17-2 to prove it; and lately have been on a tear. 

The team is a complete flip from the beginning of the year where they couldn’t score. Their bats have been red-hot in the second half of the season and while they only put up six runs against BYU, it was more than enough for pitcher Juan Aguilera.

“I felt really good actually, like this is the first time where I had all the energy I could’ve had and probably the best I’ve ever felt,” Aguilera said.

Aguilera went seven innings pitched gave up two hits and allowed no runs. After the game head coach Jay Johnson was complimentary towards Aguilera’s performance.

“That was a pretty good performance against a really good offensive team, a lot of guys hitting over .300 and he had all three pitches for strikes,” Johnson said.

Robby Medel relieved Aguilera in the eighth inning and quickly got into some trouble. He allowed runners to reach on first and second and eventually BYU got on the scoreboard with a base hit. Avery Weems had to come in to get the final out of the eighth and then Zach Sherman came in to pitch the top of the ninth and Arizona got the win, 6-1. 

Offense came from Cesar Salazar when he drilled a ground-rule double to the deepest part of the yard in left-center field in the first inning. The scoring continued in the third and fourth. Alfonso Rivas laced a double down the left field line, Jacob Blas slapped a single up the middle and Matt Frazier also singled up the middle to pile on a total of six runs on BYU, en route to a non-conference game win.

Arizona improved to 23-12 and remains 6-6 in the Pac-12. The Wildcats have one of their biggest series’ of the year this weekend as they take on No. 2 Stanford for three games starting Friday, April 20 at 7 p.m.

Follow Jack Cooper on Twitter