Arizona football travels to Northern California to take on Stanford

Caleb Villegas
Finton Connolly (91) throwing up a WC at Arizona Stadium on Saturday September 28, 2019 in Tucson Ariz. Finton was so pumped Arizona beat UCLA 20-17

Arizona football travels to Stanford, Calif., to take on Stanford after falling short last Saturday to the USC Trojans on the road at the Coliseum. The Wildcats enter this weekend with a 4-3 record on the season and with two consecutive losses to Washington and USC, respectively.

The last time that Arizona met up with Stanford football was on Oct. 29, 2016, almost three years ago to date. Arizona hosted them at Arizona Stadium and lost by a final score of 10-34 during quarterback Khalil Tate’s freshman season.

Stanford is 3-4 on the season and is also coming off a heartbreaking 16-34 loss to the UCLA Bruins at home. The Cardinal football team will finish up its three-game home game streak by hosting the Wildcats this Saturday afternoon.

Stanford is 2-2 at home so far this season, beating out Northwestern and No. 15 Washington and losing to UCLA and No. 16 Oregon.

RELATED: Arizona football drops second consecutive game on the road against Trojans

With Stanford beating out the Huskies and losing to the Bruins, and Arizona beating out the Bruins and losing to the Huskies, Saturday afternoon’s game should be a close match that could go either way.

After quarterback Tate threw for a total of 47 yards on 6-for-10 completions and ran for negative 27 yards last weekend against the Trojans, the big question going into Saturday’s game against Stanford is who will be starting at quarterback.

Gunnell, after being subbed in during the third quarter, threw for 196 yards on 16-for-26 completions and two touchdowns. However, as young as Gunnell is, experience will play a big factor this weekend for a team that has notoriously played short of its full potential all season on the road. Head Coach Kevin Sumlin has been adamant that senior Tate will continue to start for the Wildcats despite an abysmal couple of games recently.

RELATED: Looking back at the major plays in Arizona’s loss at the Coliseum

Arizona football looks to snap its two-game losing streak this weekend against its fifth conference opponent of the year before heading back to Tucson to take on Oregon State for its Homecoming game on Nov. 2.

Catch Arizona football in action this Saturday, Oct. 26 at 12:30 p.m. against Stanford. The game will be broadcasted on Pac-12 Networks.

Follow Amit Syal on Twitter.