Police Beat

Five students were cited for disorderly conduct Wednesday morning after trying to kidnap another student as part of a fraternity prank.

At 12:02 a.m., an officer received a report of a kidnapping at Coronado Residence Hall, 822 E. Fifth St. Three men were seen taking another man from the building and forcing him into a white Jeep Cherokee.

The officer spotted the vehicle while going northbound on North Campbell Avenue. The driver appeared to see the officer and sped up before taking a right turn onto East Hawthorne Street.

The officer followed, and the vehicle sped up again once the driver spotted the squad car in pursuit. The officer saw a rear passenger door open and two legs dangling out.

The vehicle came to an abrupt stop about a hundred feet short of East Hawthorne Street and North Norris Avenue, and the driver’s door opened. The officer drew his gun and ordered the driver to stay in the car and the passengers to keep their hands up inside.

Another officer arrived shortly thereafter. The first officer told the driver to exit the Jeep and stand near the squad car. Two more officers arrived, and the first officer ordered the passengers out of the vehicle one by one.

The driver and one passenger were placed in handcuffs. The first officer searched the Jeep and found nothing, so he holstered his gun.

Two other officers arrived at Coronado and talked to witnesses. One of the officers took a female witness to the Jeep, and she positively identified it.

Five of the passengers were read their Miranda rights. The driver said he and the four passengers – three of whom were accused of the kidnapping – were part of a fraternity.

The driver said the sixth man was a new member of the fraternity, and that the three men had gone to Coronado to take him as a prank.

He said when he first saw the officer driving he was going to try and get away, and stopped abruptly when he got scared.

Before the vehicle was impounded, officers took photos of bandanas and a pillowcase used during the prank.

The five passengers involved in the prank were cited and booked into Pima County Jail. The driver was also cited for having a fake ID.

The officer went to the fraternity house and advised the president that the members’ actions constituted hazing, and that the Dean of Students Office would be notified.

The president said he was not aware of the members’ prank, and that the fraternity did not condone hazing.

A student lost her wallet at the Park Student Union, 615 N. Park Ave., between 8:45 a.m. and 12:05 p.m. Wednesday.

The Hobo brand wallet was black and contained a Bank of America debit card, a Wells Fargo debit card, an Arizona driver’s license, a CatCard, a Social Security card, $7 and four gift cards.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A student reported at 2:36 p.m. Wednesday that someone used her Social Security number to open an account in her name at a department store in New York City.

The student received a letter from Intelenet Global Services Limited, a debt collection agency, dated Jan. 12 that showed she had a balance of $153 on an account at the department store.

The student said she lost her Social Security card while going to college in New York in 1996. At the time, she didn’t file a police report or notify the Social Security Administration.

She said she would be returning to China soon and wanted to file a report.

Police have no suspects or witnesses.

A man was cited for driving with a suspended license at 2:02 a.m. Tuesday.

An officer was traveling north on North Campbell Avenue when he looked to his left and saw a tan Lexus in the parking lot of Bank of America, 2880 N. Campbell Ave., with the lights off and two men sitting inside.

As the officer entered the parking lot, the car began to drive out with its headlights off. The car was halfway onto the adjacent street before the lights came on, and the officer used his vehicle’s public address system to order the car back into the lot. The officer intended to cite the driver for driving without using headlights.

The driver said he stopped at the bank so the passenger could pay him back. The driver said he intended to return to Libya later that day and insisted no illegal monetary matters were going on.

The officer asked the driver for his driver’s license, and the driver said he had forgotten it at home. He began to get nervous and jittery, and eventually admitted his license had been suspended.

The car was impounded. The driver was also cited for driving without using headlights.

Police Beat is compiled from official University of Arizona Police Department reports. A complete list of UAPD activity can be found at www.uapd.arizona.edu.