Allonzo Trier cleared by NCAA to play vs Stanford

Simon Asher
Allonzo Trier warms up before the Arizona-Stanford game on Thursday, March 1 at McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz. Allonzo Trier was cleared to play Thursday after missing one game when the NCAA suspended him for a reappearance of the same performance enhancing drug he missed 19 games for last season.

Arizona men’s basketball guard Allonzo Trier is active vs Stanford after the NCAA granting Arizona’s appeal. The news dropped just a few hours prior to tip-off. 

The NCAA declared Trier ineligible on Feb. 22 due to testing positive for a banned substance and caused the star guard to miss Arizona’s last two games against Oregon State and Oregon. 

The news comes on the heels of UA president Dr. Robert Robbins saying that Sean Miller will remain the head coach of the Wildcats after Miller called ESPN’s report of him arranging a payment of $100,000 to ensure Deandre Ayton signed with Arizona “inaccurate, false and defamatory” in a press conference this afternoon.

In 27 games this year, Trier has averaged a career high of 19.6 points per game with a 54.1 shooting percentage. Trier was also recently named to the Wooden Award Late Season Top 20.

Game time is at 8 p.m. on FS1 and Arizona is currently favored over Stanford by 11.5 points.

Follow Alec White on Twitter