“Despite injuries Gymcats, senior Tomczyk take down ASU”

The No. 20 UA gymnastics team faced off against in-state rival ASU on Sunday and left with their first win of the season, 195.675-194.9.

“”It was certainly one of the most gratifying victories at my time at Arizona,”” said head coach Bill Ryden. “”It’s not because it was ASU, it was more because of the situation the team was put in and how they rose above the challenge.””

The Gymcats (1-2), who have already been hit hard this season with injuries, were dealt another blow as they lost sophomore Deanna Graham for the meet. Graham could not practice all week as she was battling an illness.

During a gymnastics meet both teams are allowed to put up 24 routines, 21 of which count toward scoring. Due to injuries, Arizona only completed 21 routines, meaning any falls or mistakes they made would have to be counted.

“”No one chooses to do what we did today,”” Ryden said. “”You know we’re all still a little speechless by it, but we’re all very proud of this team and of what we have done.””

Senior Sarah Tomczyk had a career night. She put up numbers of 9.925, 9.9, 9.775 and 9.850 in vault, bars, beam and floor, respectively. Tomczyk took first place in the vault and floor events.

“”There is always room for improvement. I mean I am very happy with my scores and stuff but there is details still that I haven’t taken care of yet,”” Tomczyk said.

“”Our team just handled the pressure extremely well and it was just really fun just to be competing on the team and to walk out of there with a victory,”” she added. “”We were just on a high when we left.””

Ryden said that Tomczyk’s performance was the best of her career.

“”It is a testament to her and the heart of the team,”” Ryden said.