Hot N’ Not: October 8

Tyler Baker

Arizona redshirt freshman Anu Solomon (12), pictured on October 2 against Oregon, and the now-No. 10 Arizona Wildcats football team are the only undefeated program left in the Pac-12 Conference. The Wildcats are on a season-opening, five-game winning streak after being unranked to begin the season.

HOT

After Arizona football beat then-No. 2 Oregon on the road last week, it jumped into the AP rankings at No. 10. The Wildcats became the first team to go from unranked to the top 10 since the AP expanded its poll to 25 teams in 1989.

Arizona soccer rebounded from its late September loss to USC to sweep the Oregon schools. At 8-2-1 and 2-1-0 Pac-12 Conference, the Wildcats are tied for third in the Pac-12.

Arizona women’s swimming and diving beat Wisconsin 180-101 to open the season. The Wildcats won the 200 medley relay, the 1000 free, the 500 free, 100 back, 200 breast, 200 free, 200 fly, 100 fly, 400 free relay and finished first and second in the 100 back.

Arizona women’s tennis pair junior Shayne Austin and freshman Hanna Sohn won the doubles championship at the Wildcat Invitational. The Wildcats beat Marquette’s Erin Gebes and Ana Pimienta 8-4 on Sunday.

NOT

Another week, another loss for Michigan football (2-4, 0-2 Big Ten) as Rutgers defeated the Wolverines. In addition to wanting a head coach at UM fired, leading Arizona into the top 10, Michigan students rallied at the school president’s house to try and get athletic director David Brandon fired.

Arizona men’s swimming and diving opened the season with a 167.5-112.5.2 loss to Wisconsin.

MLB playoff teams from the AL West were quickly eliminated as the Oakland Athletics lost the play-in game and the Los Angeles Angels were swept. After 90 games, the A’s were 57-33, the best record in the majors by 4.5 games, and the Angels (98-64) finished the regular season with the best record in MLB.

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been kept off the field but not out of the news. According to a story in the Minneapolis Star Tribune, a credit card for Peterson’s charity was used to pay for a room used for group sex in 2011.

_______________

Follow James Kelley on Twitter.