2011 recruit Chol commits to hoops

2011 recruit Chol commits to hoops

Already ranking as Rivals.com’s No. 9 best 2011 recruiting class, the Arizona men’s basketball team added a fourth member to its incoming group.

Pulling down the zipper to his jacket, 6-foot-8, 205 pound forward Angelo Chol out of San Diego Hoover High School revealed an Arizona T-shirt while committing to the Wildcats over a live Internet broadcast on Thursday.

“”There were many reasons for my decision,”” Chol said during the press conference, which was muted but reported by ESPN. “”(UA coach Sean Miller) has had great success with players like (Charlotte Bobcats player) Derrick Brown and current Wildcat Derrick Williams, and they feel I can be in the same mold.””

Making good news for Miller, Chol denied offers from final suitors Kansas and North Carolina. Dropping recruiting pushes from Washington and Alabama, he cut his final decision to the three teams after this past weekend’s visit to Seattle, Wash.

“”I wanted to be in a situation (where I could) play early in my career and have a chance to win a national championship,”” Chol said. “”I feel with this recruiting class we will have that chance.””

Chol is listed as the No. 76 overall player, according to Rivals.com and the No. 43 prospect on Scout.com.

At Hoover High, he averaged 23.4 points, 14.8 rebounds and 8.1 blocked shots per contest. He also has versatility, shooting at a 36 percent clip from beyond the 3-point arc, according to Scout.com.

He joins guards Josiah Turner and Nick Johnson along with forward Sidiki Johnson in the class.