CatMix: Five songs to rile up the Stereotypical Bro

‘Livin’ on a Prayer’

Bon Jovi

This is one of those songs that ends all conversation at a frat party or the Auld Dubliner. Bros can’t resist the allure of an over-played power ballad, especially one about a working class they’ve never been a part of, and this one is so loud and nearly toneless that pretty much anyone can sing along. Plus, it was featured on an early iteration of “”Rock Band,”” so you know your bro has practice wailing, “”Whoooaaa-ooaaaa, we’re halfway there!””

— Heather Price-Wright

‘Butterfly’

Crazy Town

Yeesh. Do you remember this song? Can you  imagine a more appropriate bro-ballad than the poetic breakthrough that gave us “”Fierce nipple pierce you got me sprung with your tongue ring””? It was so popular, it played at number one for two weeks. What victory for bro culture.                    — Remy Albillar

‘Boyz in the Hood’

Dynamite Hack

The mellow alternative-rock version of this rap song is sure to be a hit with all your bros. In fact, you may as well call this version of the song “”Broz in the hood,”” because, as Dynamite Hack proves, bros know nothin’ in life but to be legit.

— Miranda Butler

‘I’m On a Boat’

The Lonely Island

So apparently a song about being on a boat is really where it’s at. Maybe it’s because it’s so very manly to say “”flippie-floppies.”” Maybe it’s because of autotune virtuoso, T-Pain. Maybe it’s because when you sing along you get to swear in every line of the song … Or maybe … uh, nevermind.

—Dallas Williamson

‘Shots’

LMFAO featuring Lil’ Jon

Pioneers of party rock LMFAO don’t beat around the bush: “”If you ain’t getting drunk, get the fuck out the club.”” Wise words. Optional drinking game: take a shot every time someone says “”shots.”” Last man standing has to call the paramedics.

— Brandon Specktor