ASUA fashion show a success

About 200 people attended Diamonds in the Sky, a fashion show fundraiser intended to raise money for the Diamond Children’s Medical Center.

The fundraiser, which took place on April 30, was pioneered by Associated Students of the University of Arizona Sen. Stephen Wallace.

“”Nearly all of the chairs were filled,”” he said.

The total profit was not available as of press time.

The ASUA senate approved $5,000 for the event. Wallace initially requested $7,000 but lowered the amount upon receiving $4,000 from special events and $502 from the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.

The fashion show ticket prices were originally set for $20 a person, but, just days before the show, Wallace lowered the cost to $5 to get more people to attend.

“”We really wanted to fill it up, so we asked for a lower price,”” Wallace said.

He added that there were a lot of UA students at the event.

“”It was a great mixture of both Diamond Medical Center employees and supporters, as well as students, but the majority of attendees were students, which is great,”” Wallace said.

The event had four fashion designers, three of whom were Scottsdale Fashion Designers of the Year in 2008, 2009 and 2010.

Several fashion designers made new lines of clothing for the show.

“”(ASUA) did a great time getting everyone together. It was chaotic at first when the models were running around, but it was incredible, I didn’t really have to do anything,”” said designer Yu Yu Shiratori.

Shiratori made mostly dresses and formal wear for her fashion line, but she also included tank tops and shorts and “”clothes that everyone can wear out.””

Though she did not make a new line for the event, Shiratori said she made a lot of new clothing.

“”It was for a good cause, and I was motivated to make more stuff for the show,”” Shiratori said. “”It doesn’t hurt to have more made for the show.””

Wallace hopes that Diamonds in the Sky will become an annual event.

“”I am ecstatic with how it turned out, especially for a first year event,”” Wallace said. “”Obviously, it could have been better, but for a first year event, it was very successful, and I’m excited about the turnout. I was very happy about the feedback I got from the Diamond Center as well.””