Arizona women’s soccer hits the road to take on Cal and Stanford

Alex McIntyre
Arizona goalkeeper Lainey Burdett (1) and teammates laugh as Arizona defender Samantha Falasco (23) makes a face at assistant coach Paul Nagy (left) after their win over ASU at Sun Devil Soccer Stadium in Tempe on Friday, Nov. 4, 2016. The Wildcats shut out the Sun Devils 1-0 for their first Territorial Cup win in soccer since 2013.

Arizona women’s soccer hits the road once again this weekend after playing well at home this past weekend. The Wildcats will be looking to stay hot as they travel to California this weekend to play University of California, Berkeley on Thursday and Stanford on Sunday.

The Wildcats are now 10-4-1 on the season and 4-3-1 in conference play. This weekend will be important for Arizona, as it is No. 5 in conference standings with 13 points. One win this weekend will see them move to 16 points and the possibility of moving as high up as second in the standings.

Arizona’s star forward Jada Talley was unstoppable this weekend, scoring four goals in just two games. This stellar play didn’t go unnoticed. She was awarded the Pac-12’s offensive women’s soccer player of the week. The Wildcats will hope Talley can keep up her streak against two tough conference opponents.

The Wildcats’ first matchup of the weekend will be against Cal, which has been a defensively stout team all year thanks to its goalkeeper. Cal ranks No. 5 in the number of saves made by an individual, No. 4 in goals against by an individual and No. 2 in save percentage by an individual at 85.5%. Cal is ranked just behind Arizona in the standings, trailing by only one point with a 3-2-3 conference record. This will be one of the toughest games Arizona has this year, topped only by the opponent they face on Sunday: Stanford.

The Cardinal ranks No. 1 in goals scored by an individual with 20, No. 1 in assists by an individual with 10 and No. 1 in goals against their keeper, who has started nine games and conceded only one goal. Stanford is ranked No. 1 with 24 points and an 8-0-0 record in conference play.

Catch all the action when the Wildcats face Cal on Thursday, Oct. 31, and Stanford on Sunday, Nov. 3, on all Pac-12 Networks.

Follow Jett Neeley on Twitter