Mailbag: Aug. 25

As the school year commences, I would like to welcome all new and returning students back to the UA for another year. Whether you are starting your college experience or continuing at the UA, I hope that you will take advantage of the incredible opportunities that our university has to offer.

As your ASUA student body president, it is my responsibility to represent you and the student voice at the University of Arizona. The Associated Students of the University of Arizona  is here to seek out student opinion to the best of our ability and to communicate and advocate on your behalf.

ASUA and this university would not exist if it was not for the students. Our purpose is students and because students have needs and opinions and a right to organize and voice their concerns, it is important that a system of representation exists.

This year, ASUA will work to reach out to students that we don’t normally reach. Not through social media and Twittering, but through one-on-one connections with students, residence hall visits, club visits, a presidential blog and direct outreach to individuals on campus.  The media portrays students as apathetic. I know that this is not true. ASUA will work to better engage students on the issues that concern them.  In doing so, we hope to promote an active and civically-engaged student body that can unite behind important issues.

It is important now more than ever for strong leadership within student government and student organizations. You can initiate change and influence the happenings of this university and the state of Arizona. ASUA is open to new leadership, diverse perspectives and working to improve day after day so that we can better serve students.

I look forward to this year, and please know that my door is always open to any concerns or questions.

Best of luck,

Emily Fritze

ASUA Student Body President

520-621-4615

asuapres@email.arizona.edu