ESPN reports Allonzo Trier’s absence from failed PED test last Sept.

Rebecca Noble

A stone-faced Arizona guard Allonzo Trier watches from the sidelines as his teammates warm up for Arizona’s exhibition match-up against the College of Idaho at McKale Center on Tuesday, Nov. 1, 2016. 

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman reported today that “multiple sources” confirmed that Arizona guard Allonzo Trier tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug in the early part of September, causing his ensuing suspension.

Trier appealed the results of the NCAA random test and won, according to the ESPN source, but was only allowed to travel and practice with the team until it completely clears his system.

ESPN reports Trier was re-tested as recent as two weeks ago, but traces of the drug were still in his system. Trier released a statement Wednesday via Arizona Athletics about his misuse of PEDs. 

Trier has been on the bench for the entirety of the season thus far.

The sophomore guard has missed all 18 of the Wildcats’ games this season and has not appeared on the McKale Center floor since the Red/Blue game in October.

Trier is Arizona’s leading returning scorer from the 2015-2016 season, and decided to forgo the NBA draft and return to Tucson for his sophomore season. He averaged 14.8 points and 3.3 rebounds per game as a freshman, and was named to the Pac-12 All-Freshmen team.

Follow the Daily Wildcat on Twitter.