UA family reflects on Likins’ impact

President Peter Likins and his wife of more than 50 years, Patricia, created a family of six adopted children, a career spanning four states and a UA dedicated to excellence. Likins heads into the final months of his presidency before his retirement at the end of June. Im ready to have some time for just my husband and myself. We do like each other an awful lot, hes my best friend, Patricia said.
    President Peter Likins and his wife of more than 50 years, Patricia, created a family of six adopted children, a career spanning four states and a UA dedicated to ‘excellence.’ Likins heads into the final months of his presidency before his retirement at the end of June. ‘I’m ready to have some time for just my husband and myself. We do like each other an awful lot, he’s my best friend,’ Patricia said.

The legacy of likins

He has spent almost 40,000 hours on the UA campus. He endured record-breaking budget cuts and initiated a program to raise more than $1 billion for the university.

Although his recent hospitalization has cast a shadow on the final months of his tenure, President Peter Likins will retire from his position after putting his heart and soul into important issues affecting the campus and Tucson community for nine years.

As Likins’ tenure comes to an end, his close friends and family reflect on how he has affected them in their professional and personal lives.