ASUA to take donations for wildfire relief

ASUA is holding a donation drive to help victims of the Southern California wildfires recover.

Money donations will be collected during the Bear Down Friday pep rally on University Boulevard today and at the Alumni Plaza bonfire tonight.

ASUA will also have a donation site at the Zona Zoo Tailgate on the UA Mall before tomorrow’s football game.

After all the donations have been collected, ASUA will transfer the money to the Southern Chapter of the American Red Cross, a gesture orchestrated with the help of the Dean of Students Office.

After speaking with national service organizations including the American Red Cross and World Care on how best to assist in the wildfire relief effort, ASUA decided to request donations in the form of cash rather than materials, as most material goods are being donated to the affected areas locally, said Tommy Bruce, ASUA president.

“”After talking to the Red Cross, it’s going to be much better this way,”” Bruce said.

While he doesn’t have an estimate on how much money will be raised, Bruce said he believes the drive is a good opportunity for the UA community to show its concern.

“”We always have a very giving and supportive community,”” he said. “”I know that people will give what they can.””

The cooperation among the dean’s office, ASUA and the American Red Cross show what can result when UA students and off-campus organizations unite for a common cause, said Johnny Cruz, UA director of media relations.

“”It’s reflective of the UA community, as it has always been a generous one,”” Cruz said. “”It’s not surprising at all that a group here, especially a student group, has taken an initiative.””

Although the affected California regions are 500 miles away from the UA campus, students are still unsettled by the disaster and want to assist in the relief effort any way they can, said Jessica Anderson, ASUA executive vice president.

There are currently 3,073 UA students from California, according to the Enrollment Management Office.

“”We certainly are more than willing to step up and help our peers in other areas,”” Anderson said.

Added Bruce: “”It’s not about whether (the wildfires) are local or national. This is something that has affected alumni, faculty and students, and we’re going to help do something about it.””