Staff Picks

Arizona vs. Southern California

The last time the Wildcats played USC at home was Nic Wise’s senior day, when Wise cemented his Arizona legacy with a layup at the buzzer to give Arizona the win in overtime. But, if it weren’t for Kyle Fogg’s icy veins sinking three free-throws at the end of regulation, Wise’s farewell would have been another sour note on a lost season for the Wildcats. With Arizona having more to play for this year, there’s no way the Trojans handle the noise of McKale Center or the might of Derrick Williams.

Arizona 87, USC 76

Jimmer Fredette at New Mexico

Being from San Diego and an avid sports fan, I have to take what I can get. Needless to say, I jumped on the SDSU bandwagon from the get-go, hoping that some form of athletic success would be palpable for the San Diego community. Up until two nights ago, the Aztecs were one of two undefeated teams in the country — that was until they met BYU’s Jimmer Fredette. As I sat watching the game, I was getting so frustrated with the amount of attention Fredette was getting. The guy’s a standout collegiate basketball player who knows how to score, but that’s as far as it’s going to go. SDSU’s Kawhi Leonard, who carried his team throughout the game, and will be a far superior NBA player than Fredette, got just a fraction of the mention. OK, bias over. New Mexico has no way to stop Fredette, BYU wins 86-59.

Fredette 43, New Mexico 59

– Dan Kohler

Arizona vs. Southern California

There’s really one reason that USC isn’t going to beat Arizona, and it’s Kevin O’Neill. He won’t play zone. He just won’t. As sure as “”Scrubs”” is the greatest show in the history of American television, O’Neill is going to try to beat Arizona by playing man. USC’s saving grace might be its huge backcourt, but the Wildcats are going to hit their outside shots which won’t let USC’s forwards make themselves at home in the paint. And I just can’t bring myself to pick a basketball team whose best player wears long sleeves.

Arizona 77, USC 65

Jimmer Fredette at New Mexico

New Mexico’s “”The Pit”” is one of the biggest home-court advantages in America. Jimmer Fredette doesn’t care. He’s to BYU what Jim is to “”The Office”” — it just wouldn’t be very good without him. BYU is going to win by at least 10 because the reincarnation of Joseph Smith, er … Jimmer Fredette, wouldn’t have it any other way. He’s the only player in America that actually surprises people when he misses a shot, and he’ll have the New Mexico crowd in BYU’s corner before half.

Fredette 55, New Mexico 54

– Alex Williams

Arizona vs. Southern California

Kevin O’Neill is back in Tucson which is always entertaining to watch. Sitting on press row it will be entertaining to watch as he goes berserk and turns red every couple minutes. Well, the USC medical staff better watch his blood pressure because this one will be a close one until the end at McKale.

Arizona 75, USC 69

Jimmer Fredette at New Mexico

Jimmer Fredette has scored 40-plus in three of his last four games, which only means 50 can come any game now. That game will come Saturday at “”The Pit”” at New Mexico, and Fredette will come up short against the Lobos 80-50. With a strong enough supporting cast BYU could sneak out with a win in close one. Sean Miller will be tuning in hoping he scores 50 so ESPN will stop showing the 49 at McKale Center. BYU wins 83-80.

Jimmer Fredette 50, New Mexico 80

– Vincent Balistreri