This Week in Wildcat History

March 7, 2006

Senior Hassan Adams was suspended from the Arizona men’s basketball team after being charged with driving under the influence.

Safe Ride celebrated its 25th anniversary. The Associated Students of the University of Arizona program provides free transportation for students around campus.

Incoming UA President Robert Shelton spoke with the Arizona Daily Wildcat as part of a weeklong series of discussions with various leaders and governing bodies.

2001

U.S. District Judge Marilyn Hall Patel ordered Napster to block any copyright-protected songs from its service.

UA’s women swim team is stripped of its Pacific 10 championship title due to a mathematical error in calculating dive scores. The title went to the University of California, Los Angeles.

Billy Collins, former U.S. poet laureate, visits the UA Poetry Center to give a reading.

1996

Trial for the murder of UA music professor Roy A. Johnson began. Beau John Greene was charged with first-degree murder, kidnapping, theft, robbery and forgery.

1986

Arizona Board of Regents, the University Medical Center Board of Directors and the Academic Affairs Council began considerations for a proposed heart center at UMC.

March 8, 2001

ASUA administrative vice presidential candidate Brandon D’Angelo was disqualified from the election for failing to remove campaign materials by deadline. D’Angelo was given the deadline as a penalty for sending mass emails to potential voters.

Dean of Humanities Charles Tatum replaced Jim Paul as UA Poetry Center director. Paul was reassigned to write grant proposals midway into his term.

1991

UA’s Environmental Research Laboratory confirmed the loss of its farm in Kuwait during the Gulf War. The farm was to be a testing area for a salt-tolerant plant, salicornia.

The University of Arizona Police Department began its first bicycle patrols around campus.

Arizona’s Government and Public Safety committee approved a bill to name the third Monday in January as “”Martin Luther King Jr./Civil Rights Day.”” The bill moved to the Senate for its vote.

The U.S. Senate approved an additional $30 billion for the bailout of savings and loan associations. Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., voted “”yes”” while Sen. Dennis DeConcini, D-Ariz., voted “”no.””

Arizona Rep. Steve May, R-Phoenix, proposed legislation that would require Arizona public schools and colleges to implement anti-hazing policies.

March 9, 2001

The Arizona Daily Wildcat prepared for a move from the Student Union Memorial Center basement to a new newsroom at the Esquire Apartments, 1230 N. Park Ave.

ASUA Sen. Roby Schapira introduced a students’ bill of rights. Rights on the bill included respectful treatment by faculty and staff and searches and seizures in residence halls should only be made with the proper warrant.

March 10, 2006

A bill that would require alternatives for “”objectionable”” course materials failed to pass in the Arizona Senate.

The UA held a public viewing party for the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s expected landing on Mars.

1986

Kathryn Sullivan spoke at the UA to encourage junior high and high school female students to pursue science and engineering careers. Sullivan was the first woman to walk in space and a crewmember for three space shuttle missions.  (above photo)

UA engineering students neared completion of a historical solar water pump. Students based the replica on a design by British engineer Aubrey G. Eneas.

March 11, 1986

The Coed Housing Improvement Committee proposed that Arizona-Sonora, Kaibab-Huachuca and Apache-Santa Cruz residence halls be converted into coed buildings.

UAPD officer Wilbert M. Lovell responds to a complaint from a car owner. Lovell discovered in the parking lot behind Apache-Santa Cruz that 28 tires on 19 cars had been deflated.

— Stories are compiled from the Arizona Daily Wildcat archives by Steven Kwan.