Who shoots the three?

Colin Darland
Colin Darland / Arizona Daily Wildcat The Arizona Wildcats kicked off the 2009-2010 Men’s Basketball Season at McKale Memorial Center November 1st, 2009 with the annual Red/Blue game.

Of all the scenarios surrounding starting lineups and rotations that UA’s basketball head coach Sean Miller must dissect, Jamelle Horne is trying to fill a void beyond the arc.

“”Not so much trying to, that is part of my game,”” Horne said.

Horne, who went 1-for-4 from 3-point range in Sunday’s Red-Blue scrimmage, could be turned to as a threat after Arizona’s two key shooters, Zane Johnson and Chase Budinger, left the team.

The Wildcats designed plays to taylor ex-Wildcat Johnson’s 3-point shooting specialty. Johnson transferred to Hawaii in the offseason after he shot nearly 40 percent last season.

The same can be said for Budinger. The junior-gone-pro also shot nearly 40 percent from his team-high 168 attempts last season.

“”One of the things I’ve talked a lot to Jamelle about is becoming a well-rounded player,”” Miller said. “”I have no doubt that, like with a lot of our young players, you’re going to see Jamelle improve immediately from where he is today through the course of the season, because he has a really good attitude right now and I think he’s really talented as a player.””

UA senior point guard Nic Wise led the team last year with 41 percent as the third component to Arizona’s outside game, keeping the opposing defense honest and spread.

Wise is all-but-guaranteed the starting point guard position, coming off a season where he averaged 15.7 points per game.

After Wise, it’s anybody’s game in the backcourt depth chart. While Miller hasn’t offered much insight into rotations or roles this early on, the first-year coach has brought up UA guard Brendon Lavender as a player showing much improvement throughout the offseason.

Last season, ex-coach Russ Pennell hardly used Lavender but said shooting was his game’s biggest asset. Lavender only averaged 4.7 minutes per game and went 1-for-7 from beyond the arc.

Already in the Red-Blue scrimmage, the sophomore went 3-for-6 from 3-point range and scored 13 points.

“”It was the hardest offseason I’ve ever worked,”” Lavender said at Media Day. “”I learned a lot from last year. I learned a lot of fundamentals, what it takes to play in a college-level game.””

“”I wish I could’ve broke out last year, and I’m not going to say I’m breaking out this year, but I hope to play and help out my team.””