Athlete of the week: Brooke Buringrud

Editor’s note: This is the first in a weekly series profiling the Wildcat’s Athlete of the Week. Brooke Buringrud won the honors this week after being named the tournament MVP of the Arizona Invitational in McKale Center, as Arizona went 3-0 while Buringrud averaged 3.10 kills, 2.80 digs and 0.70 service aces.

Wildcat: First of all, how did you feel about winning MVP in the tournament this weekend?

Buringrud: It is good, I guess. I don’t really know how I feel. We have been training pretty hard in the gym, and it’s nice to have something good come out of the hard we have put in during double days.

W: What are some of the things that you worked on during double days that helped you perform that well?

B: A lot of defense, passing, serve receive. A lot of things. We have been focusing on technical things, little things, paying attention to details.

W: I understand that winning is the top priority, but how do these awards that you receive in games make you feel?

B: It’s nice to win them, but it’s all about the big picture. For me personally, it’s better to come out with the win than win little awards.

W: I know you guys had such a great year last year, but with the graduation of (outside hitters Kim) Glass and (Jennifer) Abernathy, what are you looking to do this year?

B: To be just as good, if not better.

W: What is your favorite part of volleyball practice?

B: Three-man drill.

W: Can you elaborate a little on that?

B: Basically you get your (butt) kicked for a very long time, but it’s fun because we are all working hard together, and we get a lot out of it, team chemistry most importantly.

W: What’s your favorite part of game day?

B: Winning.

W: What is your favorite food?

B: Jeez, I like it all. I guess I would have to say steak.

W: What is your favorite band?

B: I don’t really have one. I have a very eclectic music taste.

W: What kind of music do you like?

B: Rap, reggae, country – everything.

W: Is there anything else that you would like to say?

B: I’m really looking forward to this season, beating everyone’s expectations.