Arizona softball blown out by National Pro Fastpitch All-Stars

Briana Sanchez
Briana Sanchez / Arizona Daily Wildcat UA softball plays NPF All Stars on October 24,2012.

In its second to last fall season event, the Arizona softball team was blown out 23-1 by the National Pro Fastpitch All-Stars on Wednesday night at Hillenbrand Stadium.

Arizona closes out the fall season with the alumni game on Nov. 9.

After staying even for the first two innings, the NPF All-Stars exploded for nine in the top of the third to start the rout.

NPF scored 23 runs on 21 hits to beat the Wildcats 23-1 Wednesday night.

“I knew we were going to be over-matched a little, but obviously I wanted to play a good game,” head coach Mike Candrea said. “We had some opportunities, but yeah, they’re pretty powerful, they’re a very good team.”

Junior pitcher Shelby Babcock pitched a near-perfect first two innings, only giving up a walk in the second.

“It was good, real good, but it got a little out of hand there with keeping the ball in the ballpark,” Candrea said.

In the top of the third, NPF scored nine runs to open the inning.

Former UA star and current softball director of operations Caitlin Lowe drove in the first run on an error by senior third baseman Brigette Del Ponte.

Lowe went 2-6 with an RBI and two runs.

After giving up seven runs and five hits and loading the bases without recording an out, Babcock was chased from the game in the third and relieved by freshman Nancy Bowling.

Arizona responded in the bottom of the third when junior utility Alex Lavine scored a run on an NPF error.

“We have a lot that we need to work on and it’s just about making adjustments,” Lavine said. “They’re a really good team.”

In the top of the fourth, NPF led off with a home run that soared to nearly the top of the bleachers. Designated player Charlotte Morgan then hit a two-run home run that just cleared the wall in right.

Outfielder Nikia Williams hit a solo home run in the fifth, her second round tripper of the night.

In the bottom of the fifth, Arizona stranded Lavine and Pendley at third and second. Lavine, who switched from right handed to lefty slapper in the offseason, also scored the UA’s run and went 1-1 with a walk.

“It was ok, but I’d rather the team do well than just me,” Lavine said.

The only Wildcats to get hits off the All-Stars’ pitching staff were junior designated hitter Kelsey Rodriguez, sophomore infielder Chelsea Suitos, Lavine and Del Ponte. All were singles.

“We’ll learn from it and I think that’s what you need to do,” Candrea said.