“Andres Carrasco making a name for himself on the court, YouTube”

Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat

Arizona Tennis vs Stanford
Valentina Martinelli
Valentina Martinelli / Arizona Daily Wildcat Arizona Tennis vs Stanford

Andres Carrasco, captain of the Arizona men’s tennis team, has amassed almost 70 wins as a Wildcat. His talents extend beyond the tennis courts, however, as the man they call “”Nacho,”” accumulated more than two hundred thousand view on YouTube.

Thanks to his spot-on impersonations of numerous professional tennis players, such as Andy Roddick, Carrasco has become a YouTube sensation of sorts. According to Carrasco, he started doing these impersonations before he enrolled at Arizona, as an up-and-coming tennis player back in Spain.

“”When I was practicing everyday with my coach, who was my brother, and two teammates, we would practice 4-6 hours a day and we spent a lot of time together. You have a lot of time to joke around, and you need it too,”” he said.

Essentially, the impersonations were a result of boredom and need for entertainment.

“”Sometimes we were on the court, in free time or in changeovers or something, and I would just start making fun of some players and my teammates would be laughing. I realized I had a little gift to offer people and I started doing impersonations more and more.””

The whole YouTube gig came about when one of his teammates proposed putting the imitations online. Once the first video went up, it received much more attention than he had expected. He names his impersonations of Carlos Moya from Spain and Gustavo Cortin from Brazil as his two best and funniest impersonations. The videos became so popular that they reached the pros he was impersonating. So popular, that they even reached the No. 2 ranked tennis player in the world.

Novak Djokovic, the Serbian star who defeated Rafael Nadal this past weekend, spoke with Andres when he attended last year’s U.S. Open.

“”He told me how great my impersonations were and how he loved them,”” Carrasco said. “”He likes to do impersonations too, and he really liked mine.””

Andy Murray caught on too, tweeting: “”Andres Carrasco tennis imitations on youtube is soooooo good try watching on mute see if u can guess the players”” back in September 2009.

The popularity these videos have gained aren’t Carrasco’s only success. He’s also an accomplished player.

Following his victory over Cal on Sunday, Carrasco has notched 66 wins in his collegiate career. Contributing to the team from the get-go, he won 15 singles matches, primarily in the No. 2 and No. 3 positions, as a freshman.

A highly-touted international recruit, Carrasco chose Arizona over Texas, Auburn, Hawaii, South Florida and a few other schools.

“”It’s an amazing life here,”” Carrasco said. “”The nice weather, nice people — it’s the best experience of my life.””

After he graduates, Carrasco doesn’t plan on pursuing a professional career because, as he described, he tried that before he came to college and it’s a tough thing to do because of the risk involved.

“”(Playing professionally) was an amazing life, but it’s too much for me,”” the senior said. “”Too much money to invest and to travel the world again.””

Carrasco said he’s interested in coaching, and this summer he plans on going to New York for three months to teach tennis to kids with college aspirations and counsel them on college life.

“”Its been an amazing ride for four years and (I) can’t believe that time goes by that fast,”” he said. “”Seems like yesterday when I came here to Arizona as a freshman and I looked up to all the seniors and the captains. Now it’s me that has to leave.””

But regardless of what his professional future might hold, his impersonations are going strong. He’s even moving onto women.

“”Lately I’ve been doing impersonations of (Maria) Sharapova and Serena Williams, and I think it’s funny that I’m doing those now.””