Two former Wildcats look to lead Arizona softball as assistant coaches

Caitlin Lowe is the current assistant coach for Arizona’s softball team. Pictured above is Lowe during the game against Cal State Fullerton on May 27, 2007. (Courtesy of Stan Liu/Arizona Athletics)

As the 2018 softball season beings, there will be some former Wildcats in the dugout helping out head coach Mike Candrea. They won’t be playing, though. Rather, they will be serving as assistant coaches.

Caitlin Lowe, who joined the program in 2012, will be embarking on her fifth year of being the assistant head coach. This year, she’ll be joined by her former teammate Taryne Mowatt, who became an assistant coach in October of 2017.

Lowe, who was a four-time All American and two-time National Champion with the Wildcats, was one of the best players in the program’s history. She ranks second in batting average, fourth in hits, and first in stolen bases. The former center fielder never committed an error in her four years of starting, and she uses that expertise to help the outfielders on the team now with their defense. She’s also been key in helping with base running.

Mowatt, who was also a two-time National champion for the ‘Cats, was a force on the mound during the 2007 College World Series. In the series, she earned the Most Valuable Player award, setting records in innings pitched, strikeouts, and complete games. She also won the ESPY that year for Best Female Athlete. Before joining Arizona’s staff, she worked at the University of Mississippi and California Baptist, helping both make the NCAA tournament. 

According to head coach Mike Candrea, having Mowatt around has been very helpful for the pitchers on the team, especially junior Taylor McQuillin, who has had to adjust to being the No. 1 pitcher on the roster.

“I think having Taryne around, with Taryne’s mindset, and her ability to tweak some pitches, I think it’s really helped [McQuillin],” Candrea said.

Lowe has been with the Wildcats for seven years now and has been a very beneficial resource for both the players and for Candrea. Now, with the addition of Mowatt, it brings an interesting dynamic to an already talented team. 

Having two players who both excelled at one part of the game be on the coaching staff is a weapon for coach Candrea that most coaches around the country can’t say they have. 
As the Wildcats look to make another deep tournament run, like the ones Lowe and Mowatt, were apart of, having the two on staff is a very helpful way to start.