UPDATED: UAPD investigating student ‘suicide’ outside Koffler building; official statement released

Alex McIntyre
Officer Ugalde stands guard inside a door to the Koffler building on the UA campus that was cordoned off on Tuesday, Jan. 26. Police were responding to an incident in which a body was found near the building.

There was no indication of foul play in the death of a male UA student at the Koffler building Tuesday morning. UAPD detectives have yet to release a cause of death, but are currently investigating it as a suicide, according to a UAPD media release.

An official classification on cause of death is expected Wednesday, according to the UAPD media release.

A heavy police presence occupied the plaza behind the Koffler building, and UAPD blocked off the walkway connecting Biological Sciences and Koffler in response to what UAPD Public Information Officer, Sgt. Filbert Barrera, called an “incident,” early Tuesday.

The incident occurred inside the stairwell on the west side of the building, according to a police aide on scene.

Family members of the deceased student have been contacted and UA counselors will be available to friends and classmates of the student.

Students with personal concerns or questions should contact UA Counseling and Psychological Services at 520-621-3334, available 24 hours per day. Staff and faculty are encouraged to contact UA Life and Work Connections at 520-621-2493.

Follow The Daily Wildcat on Twitter.