Athlete of the Week: Kristie Fox

Shortstop Kristie Fox hit her team-leading 11th and 12th home runs of the season over the weekend.

Editor’s note: Shortstop Kristie Fox opened last weekend by nearly hitting for the cycle in Arizona’s 3-1 win Friday over then-No. 14 Oregon State, then capped it off Sunday with a four-RBI performance in a 9-1 win over then-No. 15 Oregon. The senior also hit her team-leading 11th and 12th home runs of the season and finished with four runs scored and seven RBIs on the weekend. The Wildcat caught up with Fox yesterday before practice to get her thoughts on living with center fielder Caitlin Lowe, traveling and post-graduation plans.

Wildcat: We know you and Caitlin are roommates. How has that been working out?

Kristie Fox: It works out really well. We’ve been rooming together since the dorms freshman year, and we just realized we both are slobs and we can put up other with each other’s messiness.

W: You’ve been nominated as one of the 25 finalists for the USA Softball Collegiate Player of the Year. How do you feel about that?

F: It’s really nice. There’s a lot of great players on the list, so it’s just a big honor.

W: Obviously not as great as the Wildcat athlete of the week, huh?

F: Oh, of course not. This is my favorite honor ever (laughs).

W: If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and whom would you take?

F: I would go to Ireland because I’ve been talking about going there for a long time. I would take my Aunt Mary and my little sister, Kelly, because they’ve been there a long time for me and they’ve supported me in my career, and I think it would be nice to just get away with them.

W: You’re graduating at the end of this semester. What are your plans for next year?

F: Well, I got drafted by the Chicago Bandits, which is a pro team, so I’m gonna play there over the summer with former Wildcats, Autumn Champion and Jennie Finch, but after that I gotta come back and finish my degree. I still have a couple of units before I can graduate.

W: What is your all-time favorite home run you’ve hit?

F: Well, I got a lot of recognition for the one I hit my freshman year off of Jennie when we played the USA team, but my favorite would have to be a single I got in the World Series against USC.

– as told to Savir Punia