No. 8 Arizona WBB completes weekend homestand with a win over Oregon State

Nathanial Stenchever

Sam Thomas, a guard on the Arizona woman’s basketball team, celebrates with her team after the game on Sunday, Feb. 6 in McKale Center. The Wildcats would win the game 73-61.

The Arizona women’s basketball team beat Oregon State in McKale Center on Sunday 73-61.

The Wildcats were led by Cate Reese and Koi Love. Reese scored 19 points while shooting 33% (6/18) from the field and 25% (1/4) from 3. Love scored 16 points while shooting 70% (7/10) from the field and 100% (1/1) from the three. 

This game was close throughout the whole thing. The Wildcats didn’t pull away from the Beavers until the fourth quarter when they had a 24-14 fourth quarter because of big shots by the Wildcats’ sharpshooters. 

RELATED: No.8 Arizona WBB gets back on track with 15 point win against No.19 Oregon

Arizona shot the ball 41% (26/64) from the field and 32% (6/19) from the 3-point line. The Wildcats shot well from the free-throw line shooting 83% (15/18).

The Wildcats’ defense was stifling, forcing 16 turnovers and eight steals, which led to 19 points off of turnovers. They also tied program history with only three turnovers in the game. 

Arizona lost the rebounding battle 32-29 but dominated on the offensive glass, winning the battle 11-6. Those 11 rebounds led to 13 second chance points. Additionally, the Wildcats dominated in the paint outscoring Oregon State 32-20. 

Sam Thomas made history by entering the top-10 in Arizona’s all-time scoring list with a 3-pointer in the third quarter. Reese also moved up to eighth after a made 3-pointer of her own in the fourth quarter. 

After the Wildcats had a 2-0 homestand over the weekend, they are back on the road to face in-state rivals ASU in Tempe on Friday, Feb. 11 at 7 p.m. MST. 

Follow Devin Homer on Twitter