Shoe-thrower gains fame

Iraqi TV journalist Muntadhar al-Zeidi may have been angry when he removed his shoes and threw them at then-president George W. Bush.

But, apparently he knew what he was doing; the Iraqi journalist has women lined up around the block, a slew of people offering cash and support, and a four-bedroom house.

Oh, and other prizes.

Offers of free health care. A free furnished home from his boss. A wife.

All in support of his courageous move nine months ago.

The TV network al-Zeidi works for even continues to pay his full salary while he serves time in prison.

USA Today reported, “”Sheikh Ahmed Jowda, 75, a tribal leader in the West Bank, said he plans to send a young woman from his family ‘loaded with jewels and gold’ to Iraq as a candidate for marriage.”” Jowda also stated, “”There are many Palestinian girls who want to marry al-Zeidi. He chooses the one he likes.””

Jowda also reported to USA Today that, “”All Arab people … hope to get the chance of doing what (al-Zeidi) did.””

Well, who wouldn’t? The benefits are far too good to pass up.

His fame seems to be up there with the recently departed King of Pop. Michael Jackson’s studded white glove was sold at auction for $50,000 in Las Vegas at the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. A Saudi businessman called to bid $10 million for the Iraqi journalist’s famous shoes.

Once out of his reduced, nine-month prison sentence, he’ll definitely be doing some damage at the shoe store.

— Tiffany Kimmell is a journalism senior. She can be reached at letters@wildcat.arizona.edu.