Search for housing often chancy

One of the biggest decisions an incoming freshman must make is whether to live on or off campus. However, with a record freshman class, this choice may soon be replaced with chance.

UA continues to create more housing options for a growing student body through leasing agreements with off-campus apartments and a new dormitory that will be finished sometime next year.

Yet some UA students who are expected to live on campus may be forced to live somewhere nearby instead.

Freshman Danielle Lasorsa said dorms are a great way to meet people, and she hangs out with friends at Coronado where “”everyone knows each other.””

Most of Lasorsa’s friends, who live on campus, admit that living in dorms is a great one-time experience. The dorms make it easy to meet friends who you will know throughout your college life, Lasorsa said.

Chelsea Ginn, an ecology and evolutionary biology freshman, decided to live off campus “”because she didn’t want to live in a jail cell.””

Ginn knew a lot of friends at the UA when she moved here but has not found it difficult to meet new people.

“”Personally, I have a personality that makes me really go out and meet people, I’m not shy,”” she said. Compared to high school, college feels “”much less cliquey and more open,”” Ginn said.

College students want to network and are genuinely interested in what you do, so “”it’s a more enriching experience to get to know people here,”” she added.

Both Lasorsa and Ginn agree there is much more freedom living off campus with one of the benefits being not having to worry about being too loud or going through check-in.

Nick Vanslyke, a media arts senior, is thankful that he chose to live in Sky View Apartments his freshman year.

“”I met some of my best friends from the dorms; the dorms are the center of activity for all the people your age,”” said Vanslyke.

He describes the dorms as a great place to find out about parties, meet people in your classes and adjust to college life.

Vanslyke advises students who are unable to live on campus their freshman year to live close by and to get involved on campus through other activities like playing basketball or joining clubs.