“New, big man on campus”

Hector Araujo, a political science junior and Pima Community College transfer student who plans on running for the ASUA president, stands in front of the Caesar Chavez Building on Wednesday, Feb. 2, 2011 at the UA.

Hector Araujo is one of three men running for president of the Associated Students of the University of Arizona. He is a political science junior.

Daily Wildcat: What made you decide to run for president of ASUA?

Araujo: I was always interested in attending the UA since my freshman year because I worked with “”Anytown Arizona,”” a volunteer and counseling program that had a week-long program held at the university. That convinced me to attend the UA, but it was after the registration date, so I could not apply for my freshman year. So I went to Pima (Community College) and ran on the cross-country and track team which landed me a scholarship. Through getting involved, I knew running for president is something I always wanted to do. There is no doubt in my mind that I could be president here — in just two years at Pima, we made student government a tangible and realistic thing. At the UA, there are a lot of important issues I feel I can help out with and create new things.

Do you think your experiences at Pima would help you as the future president of ASUA?

I believe it will, and that it will give me a different perspective. Although I haven’t been fully submerged in the UA quite yet, I see the different demographics. Putting all my experiences together will give me a wider perspective.

Are you nervous about running since you have not been previously involved in ASUA?

They all (ASUA) freak out that I haven’t been involved, but some people say it’s commendable. They (ASUA) inbreed and those people always run. There is never a change in the system. I am not nervous, but I have nervous excitement.

How is the campaign process going? How are you feeling about the overall election process?

They changed the rule this year, now the president has to get 400 signatures. The people helping with my campaign and myself are going over the required amount for buffer room. I have to go out and talk to a lot of people and I like that. I want to build those personal relationships, not just have “”my people”” do it for me. To me, the campaign process so far has been about getting signatures with a team that I want to build based on similar beliefs working towards the same goal. It is a fun process, I’ll tell you that.

Are there specific interest groups on campus that you are trying to target to help you win the election?

For me, teamwork makes the dream work. I am talking to everybody and anybody. I have always been told to go for Greek Life first, which I understand is a big component of the UA, but there are all these other marginalized groups out here. I want to have consistency, meaning I go to the same people as many times as I can. It’s not just a one-time thing.

How are you feeling about your competition?

I wish the best of luck to everybody. The other guys running are really fine gentlemen and significant people on campus. I am ready to take on the challenge. And even if I lose, it is not the end all. We can still make things happen.