Fences go up around Old Main, visible construction to start next week

Fences surrounding Old Main means the beginning of construction to the oldest building on campus.

The overall cost of the project is budgeted for approximately $13.5 million, according to Lorna Gray, facilities project manager of Planning, Design and Construction.

Construction on the exterior of the building will begin in a few days, Gray said. Their top priority as of now is to rebuild the columns so they are structurally sound. The original brick will be used in the modifications, she added.

They will be rebuilding the deck using new wood to ensure safety and strength. Finally, the roofing will be assessed and remodeled, according to Gray.

The structure of the roof will remain as-is. However, because the original shingles were made of lead due to the process the original constructors used when the building was first built in 1891, new metal shingles will replace the old ones.

Construction is estimated to be finished in the summer of 2014.

Update: Feb. 28

Investigators on the inside of the building are tearing down walls to unveil the original walls that may contain fireplaces and windows. They will soon put a camera down into the sewer line to videotape the pipes and examine their condition, according to Gray.

If the pipes need recovering then it will set the project back. There’s currently a lot of investigation underway in Old Main. Visible construction will occur as soon as next week, Gray said.

Gray added that notices via email to adjacent buildings will be sent out if any disruptive construction might occur.