W-golf heads to Tempe

The Arizona women’s golf team is set to begin its final tournament of the regular season, the Ping/ASU Invitational in Tempe. The tournament is played at ASU Karsten Golf Course, which will be set up at 6,230 yards.

This is Arizona’s last chance to play competitively before the Pacific 10 Conference Championships, which will be held April 18-21 at the University of Oregon.

The Wildcats sit at No. 8 in the latest Golfweek/Sagarin rankings — a purely statistical comparison of teams — and have a firm grasp on one of the at-large spots if they don’t receive an automatic bid in the Pac-10 Tournament. 

Arizona is led by sophomore Isabelle Boineau, with a 73.32 scoring average and four top-20 finishes. Margarita Ramos, also a sophomore, is second on the team with a 73.42 average.

Freshman sensation Sherlyn Popelka is third on the team in scoring average, with a 73.47 average, but has the team’s lowest tournament finish of the season at 7-under-par. Popelka has struggled with consistency this season, and will be key to Arizona making a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

The 17-team field features six top-10 teams – No. 1 Arizona State, No. 3 University of California, Los Angeles, No. 5 Pepperdine, No. 6 USC, No.7 Alabama and No. 8 Arizona.

Arizona finished sixth in last year’s tournament, while Oklahoma State took first.