Arizona football slips in Pac-12 power rankings, again

Cole Malham
Cole Malham/The Daily Wildcat Arizona loses to Washington 13-31.

1. No. 2 Oregon (6-0, 3-0 Pac-12) Last week 1
Oregon is clearly the leader of the Pac-12 conference after week seven of the college football season. The Ducks blew past then No. 16 Washington on the road in Seattle, while then No. 5 Stanford slipped in Utah. Now the question isn’t whether or not the Ducks can win the conference but if they can do it without losing.

2. No. 9 UCLA (5-0, 2-0) Last week 3
UCLA keeps chugging along. The Bruins took care of business this past week at home against California. The team will have a tough matchup next week, though, as they travel to No. 13 Stanford. This upcoming Saturday will be a real test to see how potent the UCLA offense is, as the Cardinal have one of the nation’s best defenses.

3. No. 13 Stanford (5-1, 3-1) Last week 2
Stanford suffered its first loss of the season last week as it was upset by Utah in Salt Lake City. The Cardinal had been pretty consistent with their steady downhill offense and a tenacious defense, but came up short in a six point loss to the Utes this past Saturday.

4. Arizona State (4-2, 2-1) Last week 5
The Sun Devils’ true caliber is still undetermined. They are clearly the second best school in the Pac-12 South division, but how much better is unclear. ASU took care of business at home this past week with a 41-point victory over Colorado. ASU is 1-1 against ranked teams, with a questionable victory over then No. 20 Wisconsin. This week they host current No. 20 Washington.

5. No. 20 Washington (4-2, 1-2) Last week 4
Washington has hit a rut since beating Arizona at home. The Huskies have dropped two consecutive games, coming at the hands of two top five ranked opponents, No. 5 Stanford and No. 2 Oregon. Washington is clearly a talented team, but it can’t lose a third game in a row and have a repeat of last season.

6. USC (4-2, 1-2) Last week 10
With interim head coach Ed Orgeron, USC looks to be back on track after a solid victory over Arizona this past week. Even without All-American receiver Marqise Lee, the Trojans’ offense came alive. Just how much the Trojans have recovered will be tested this week when they travel to Notre Dame.

7. Oregon State (5-1, 3-0) Last week 7
After being upset at home to FCS Eastern Washington to open the season, Oregon State has racked up five consecutive wins. However, none of the five have faced a noteworthy team. Quarterback Sean Mannion has been on fire since the upset. Saturday the Beavers once again play a subpar opponent when they travel to Berkeley, Calif., to play Cal.

8. Utah (4-2, 1-2) Last week 9
For the second consecutive week, Utah had an impressive performance against a nationally ranked school. Last week, the Utes managed to come away with the victory as they upset then No. 5 Stanford. Utah travels to Tucson this week.

9. Arizona (3-2, 0-2) Last week 8
The Wildcats struggled on both sides of the ball last week at USC, until the fourth quarter when the offense rallied to almost come back. But they didn’t, and now Arizona has lost two consecutive conference games. A third to Utah this week would almost for sure take them out of the conference title game contention and cause serious doubt in the eyes of Arizona fans.

10. Washington State (4-3, 2-2) Last week 6
After a strong start to the season, the Cougars have fallen hard. Their Air-Raid offense has been missing in two of the past three weeks, and with a road meeting with No. 2 Oregon this week, Washington State could be back to square one.

11. Colorado (2-3, 0-3) Last week 11
The Buffaloes opened the season with two consecutive impressive victories, in which their offense appeared explosive. However, Colorado has yet to win since, and its offense hasn’t looked the same. It should get its third this week against Charleston Southern, but getting the six needed wins to be bowl eligible looks unlikely.

12. Cal (1-5, 0-3) Last week 12
California has looked pretty awful on defense and offense. The Golden Bears have yet to keep an opponent under 30 points and their offense has not reached past 37 points. The rebuilding process in Berkeley, Calif., might take longer than some had planned.

Upcoming game of the week: No. 11 UCLA vs No. 13 Stanford
Last week’s game of the week: Utah 27, then No. 5 Stanford 21
Last week’s player of the week:
Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, 24-for-31 passes for 366 yards, three touchdowns, zero interceptions, 13 carries for 88 yards.

—Follow Luke Della @LukeDella