Briefs: Nymeyer makes last NCAA Woman of the Year cut

Former Arizona swimmer Lacey Nymeyer made the cut of candidates to win the 2009 NCAA Woman of the Year award, given to female collegiate athletes that perform not only in competition, but also in the classroom and community.

“”I feel like it’s an award that doesn’t just take into account your athletic ability,”” Nymeyer said in a phone interview, “”but it really does showcase you as a person, your academics and what you do in the community and your leadership capabilities.””

“”For me to be one of the top three in Division I, I just feel so honored and lucky to make it this far,”” she added.

The former Wildcat, and Olympic silver medalist ran out of athletic eligibility in 2008 but graduated in May of 2009 with a physical education major. It was that point when she applied for the prestigious award, she said.

Now working towards another Olympic berth in the 2012 games, Nymeyer spends her time training during the weekdays and traveling to swimming clinics during the weekends.

“”The swim clinics are really my job and also swimming is my job,”” Nymeyer said. “”It’s great because I can use my passion, which is swimming, and then also another interest, which is working with kids.””

Nymeyer will head to Indianapolis, Ind., Sunday for a banquet where a winner will be chosen between herself, LSU gymnast Ashleigh Clare-Kearney and former Duke women’s golfer Amanda Blumenherst.

W-golf sits seventh in New Mexico

After one round of play at the New Mexico State University Golf Course, Arizona women’s golf currently sits at seventh place in the Price’s Give ‘Em Five Intercollegiate tournament.

Freshman Kyndall Ardoin registered a 1-over-par round to help the Arizona blue team, fundamentally a junior varsity squad, to land 10 shots back of the leader, UC Irvine.

The Wildcats are just six shots behind third-place Fresno State. Arizona continues play at 6:30 a.m. MST.

Volleyball returns to top 20

Arizona women’s volleyball returned to the top 20 in the national rankings after sweeping the Oregon schools at home this weekend, including a then-No. 11-ranked Oregon squad.

The No. 18 ranking ties the season high for the Wildcats, who had previously received the spot after defeating then-No. 13 USC.

The Pacific 10 Conference currently has seven nationally ranked teams according to the American Volleyball Coaches Association weekly poll. Arizona next heads into the first installment of the Duel in the Desert this weekend when they travel to Tempe to take on Arizona State.