Break from school doesn’t slow down Arizona swim teams

School was out for more than a month, but that did nothing to slow down the Arizona men and women’s swim teams.

The No. 1 men’s team defeated Iowa in Tucson while the No. 5 women defeated Northern Arizona, New Mexico State, and Oregon State during winter break.

The Wildcats’ relay teams continued their dominance, opening the meet with two victories in the 400 medleys. The men went on to win 10 out of the 12 events they participated in. Sophomore Matt Barber, junior Sam Rowan, and senior Kelley Wyman all recorded multiple wins in the meet.

“I thought we battled through some adversity in terms of health on the men’s side and we had some people step up,” Arizona head coach Eric Hansen said in a press release. “I thought our depth really showed today. The men pulled together and proved they are a formidable team.”

The Arizona women also controlled the competition, winning nine of 12 events. Senior captain Alyssa Anderson and sophomore Sarah Denninghoff recorded multiple wins for the team.

“On the women’s side, they were really strong across the board,” Hansen said. “They competed really hard and I’m really proud of them. As a team, we are very tired because it’s winter training right now, but we got it done and we know the things we need to work on.”