Associated Students of the University of Arizona to ratify hidden budget

The Associated Students of the University of Arizona Senate will have their first official meeting of the 2010-11 school year tonight.

Approval of the budget for the new school year will be the main topic of discussion.

“”The only thing … we are going over is approving the ASUA budget for the year,”” said ASUA Executive Vice President Katherine Weingartner.

Kenny Ho, ASUA treasurer, said that the 2010-11 budget will then be released to the public upon complete senate approval.

The proposed budget will go online shortly after the meeting.

“”It’ll be up for approval (today) and then when the senate approves it, it’ll be up,”” Ho said.

Although the senators were inaugurated last May and got to work holding forums for the student reaction to the controversial Senate Bill 1070, tonight will be the first time they meet to discuss the year’s upcoming events.

The SB 1070 resolution could be among topics of conversation at the meeting, but the discussion was tabled in summer governance, and no changes will be made to any statements until Sept. 8, according to Weingartner.

Approval of the budget will allow for various senate projects to be passed. Such programs include  plans to have a concert for breast cancer, a senate initiative of Taylor Bilby, ASUA senator and pre-business sophomore. Garret Voge, an ASUA senator and pre-business sophomore, also plans to initiate a ‘volunteer buffet’ where students can try different volunteer programs and find one they are passionate about.

Weingartner said the passion of the new senate is apparent through the different personal projects that are being started early this semester.