Arizona football and Kevin Sumlin land 4-star quarterback Grant Gunnell

Carmen Valencia
A UA football helmet sits on the press conference table after the conference concludes.

First-year head football coach Kevin Sumlin has made it clear that recruiting from the Lone Star State must be one of Arizona’s top offseason priorities.

On Wednesday, June 6, the Wildcats added its fourth commit to its growing 2019 recruiting class. 

Four-star quarterback Grant Gunnell pledged his allegiance to the University of Arizona after considering offers from the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Oregon and LSU. 

The Houston native was labeled Texas’ top-ranked pro-style quarterback in the 2019 class after throwing for nearly 10,000 yards and scoring 139 total touchdowns between his sophomore and junior seasons at St. Pius X High School in Houston. 

Gunnell, who at one point was committed to Texas A&M, chose to reevaluate his decision after Sumlin was dismissed as the Aggies head coach. 

The 6-foot-6, 215-pound gunslinger felt that it was ultimately in his best interest to follow Sumlin and offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone – whom he has developed a strong relationship with – to the desert. 

Gunnell joins two other Texans, cornerback Logan Wilson and running back Michael Wiley, as the cornerstones of Sumlin’s initial recruiting class. 

Although Heisman-hopeful Khalil Tate has a firm grip on the Wildcats starting quarterback gig, adding Gunnell to the mix allows Arizona to be confident about one of the team’s most vital positions moving forward. 

It will also make for a surreal quarterback competition once Tate departs for the NFL. 

Arizona hasn’t had quality depth behind center for quite some time. Gunnel and a pair of 2018 quarterback commits, Jamarye Joiner and Kevin Doyle, should provide the Wildcats with elite quarterback play for the foreseeable future.

RELATED: Arizona football releases start times and broadcast info for five games in 2018

Even after Wednesday’s big announcement, Arizona likely hasn’t taken its eyes off Texas, and the Wildcats are certainty thrilled by its newest recruit from the Lone Star State.

Follow Rob Kleifield on Twitter @RobKAllDay1