State of the Student

Gordon Bates /Arizona Daily Wildcat 

ASUA President Chris Nagata, makes a speech about the hard work and perseverance of UA students in the Grand Ballroom this Monday during the State of the Student Address. The event was the first of its kind and focused on the balance and management of challenges faces by UA students.
Gordon Bates
Gordon Bates /Arizona Daily Wildcat ASUA President Chris Nagata, makes a speech about the hard work and perseverance of UA students in the Grand Ballroom this Monday during the State of the Student Address. The event was the first of its kind and focused on the balance and management of challenges faces by UA students.

Associated Students of the University of Arizona President Chris Nagata delivered the first “”State of the Student”” address on Monday evening.

In a formal reception, higher education elites and student leaders came to see Nagata’s speech, which detailed his vision of the university’s legacy and where its future should lead.

“”That initial class pushed the frontiers of learning and explored the boundaries of education,”” Nagata said. “”Those very students laid the foundation upon which our institution was built.””

The more than 20-minute enterprise outlined the educational situation Arizona students are in today.

“”The U of A was constructed as a land grant university, its fabric dedicated to providing an education for Arizona citizens,”” Nagata said. “”The challenges of a broken state economy are eroding the educational opportunity this university affords. We, as a society, have watched the gradual bleeding of our state.””

He also stressed the importance of student involvement and the position in which Arizona has put education.

“”We seem to live in an environment in which education is becoming less and less of a priority,”” Nagata said. “”We live in concerning times where our very generation is less educated than the generation that preceded us and we are on course to offer less opportunity to the next generation than what opportunities were secured for us.””

Nagata then noted four students’ various journeys toward achievement in higher education: David Keating, LaKeisha McClary, Michael Stefferson and Candace Begody.

In the address, he touched on the loss of funds and faculty, which damages the reputation of the UA. He talked about the restructuring process of the school and the more than 600 jobs lost and 24 programs scaled back, merged or completely cut in order to meet budget requirements.

Graduate and Professional Student Council President David Lopez-Negrete also spoke about the state of affairs for graduate students and stressed the importance of research and assistant teaching for student job experience as well as supporting the campus community.

ASUA Executive Vice President and President-elect Emily Fritze introduced Nagata.

“”I can personally attest to his passion to serve the students of the university with grace and devotion,”” Fritze said. “”(He’s) someone I consider a great leader and a great friend.””

Most in the audience thought the speech was a worthy endeavor.

“”I think he made very clearly the point that education is critical to individual success, but it’s also absolutely fundamental to the success of our state as we move forward,”” said Rick Myers, regent of the Arizona Board of Regents. “”It’s time for us to put our money where our mouth is. It’s time for us to start investing in ourselves for the future.””