Arizona takes a 37-28 lead over Stanford at halftime as Sean Miller and Allonzo Trier return

Simon Asher
Arizona’s Parker Jackson-Cartwright (0) pushes past Stanford’s Dajeon Davis (1) during the first half of the Arizona-Stanford game on Thursday, March 1 at McKale Center in Tucson, Ariz.

After finding out that head coach Sean Miller was returning to the team this afternoon and then Allonzo Trier was cleared to play a few hours before the game, it was all energy for Arizona men’s basketball as it took a 37-28 lead into halftime Thursday against Stanford at the McKale Center. 

Before the game, Miller walked onto the court to a standing ovation and chants of “we want Miller.” Arizona then saved Trier for last during the players announcement and the crowd exploded again. 

Trier wasted no time and hit a 3-pointer on Arizona’s second possession. He finished the half with nine points. 

However, Dusan Ristic led scoring in the first half with 15 points and three rebounds. The big man shot 8-7 from the floor and made another 3-pointer. 

With the team back to full capacity, Arizona started strong and played with high energy on offense, but at first Arizona’s defense looked similar to the defense that let Oregon score 98 points last week. 

The game was tied until Arizona tightened up on defense and rattled off a 7-0 run with less than seven minutes left in the half. 

Deandre Ayton had a unusually quiet first half with two points and two rebounds. 

As a team Arizona shot 55 percent from the floor and 2-for-7 from 3-point range while holding Stanford to 48 percent from the floor and 1-of-5 from three. 

Once again turnovers were the biggest enemy for the Wildcats. Arizona gave up eight turnovers in the first half to Stanford’s five. 

Follow Nate Airulla on Twitter