V-ball stuffs rivals in Tempe

Setter Paige Weber meets an ASU blocker in mid-air as teammate Alanna Resch, left, looks on during the Wildcats? Friday win over ASU. The Wildcats won their first conference road game in two years.

Arizona volleyball came away victorious in Tempe on Friday against the ASU Sun Devils — the Wildcats’ first victory on the road against a Pacific 10 Conference team in more than two years.

The Arizona attack was efficient last week against the Oregon schools, and that trend continued against ASU. Junior outside hitter Whitney Dosty and sophomore middle blocker Courtney Karst led the way for the Wildcats, tallying 19 and 15 kills, respectively.

“”Whitney and Courtney both played great,”” said head coach Dave Rubio. “”It’s always nice to grab a conference win on the road.””

Arizona (15-3, 4-3 Pac-10) took the lead early on the Sun Devils (11-7, 1-6), going up 14-9 in the first set. ASU, however, battled back to make the score 15-13 and eventually took the lead 20-19. The Wildcats, led by Dosty, made a 5-2 run to take the set 25-23.

“”I was pleased with (the) effort, but felt we could have been a little sharper,”” Rubio said.

Arizona again took the lead early in the second set. The 10-7 score gave way to a 12-4 run for the Wildcats, who took the set 25-18.

Arizona only dropped one set to the rival Sun Devils, by a score of 21-25. After the break, the Wildcats opened up an 11-7 lead over ASU and never looked back. They took the set and the match with a 25-14 score.

The Wildcats continue their play on the road next week when they make a trip to the Bay Area to play both California and Stanford.

Extra Serving:

Senior libero Alanna Resch tallied her 1,000th dig during the match at ASU. She finished the night with 12 digs to bring her total to 1,011.

The Wildcats now sit at third place in the Pac-10, behind Washington and Stanford.

Arizona’s win ended a three game losing streak against ASU in Tempe and gave the Wildcats their first conference win on the road since Oct. 4, 2007.