Q&A S.H.I.T. makes their way from up north to the desert stage

Courtesy S.H.I.T
The Toronto-based band S.H.I.T. will perform at HOCO Fest 2018 as part of the international outreach of the event. The concert event will feature local talents, comedians and international performances over five days.

The Daily Wildcat talked with a Toronto-based guitarist from the band S.H.I.T. about his music, lifestyle and expectations for HOCO Fest 2018.

From Canada to Tucson, S.H.I.T will be coming to the desert stage at Cans Deli during day four of the annual festival. They started playing together in 2011-2012, and the Daily Wildcat called up guitarist Greg Benedetto to ask him a few questions to better understand him and the music he plays.

RELATED:  UA cultural centers embrace campus diversity

Daily Wildcat: What inspired you to go into music?

Greg Benedetto: I’ve always thought that music is a way for … any human being to contribute politics or art. It’s a really accessible sort of way to make something you know, and make a statement. That’s sort of why I’ve been a music fan since I was young and I just sorta kept on it.

DW: What kind of music did you listen to when you were growing up?

GB: Oh man, I mean I guess I probably first got into Nirvana, like grind … and alternative. Nu metal was a big thing when I was a teenager, well younger than a teenager. But then I got into punk when I was like 13, 14 and got really into starting to mess with DIY music. The aspect of being able to create something from nothing is great and I’ve been sort of in that world now.

RELATED:  UA Poetry Center sets lineup for semester

DW: What is the best show you’ve played?

GB: Probably playing Mexico City. There’s such an intense passion for music down there. It puts the U.S. or Canada or even Europe to shame. It gives a new application to the word ‘hardcore.’ It’s just a very aggressive and intense punk, you know, and I think it’s just a lot more real. 

DW: What do you want your audience to know about you, as a band and as a person?

GB: Check out our music in advance. As a band, everything we do is driven by DIY. We only work with people we can work with directly and we don’t like the middleman and we don’t like entertaining bullshit. As far as I see it, we’re just fucking regular punk playing music. There’s nothing special.

MORE INFORMATION:

S.H.I.T has several albums out, including Protection of the Leather and Lace – S.H.I.T Live at the Silver Dollar, What Do You Stand For?, Feeding Time and Equalizing Distort Radio Session. Listen on Bandcamp at whatwedoissecrete.bandcamp.com.

The band will be performing in HOCO Fest 2018 at Cans Deli, located at 340 N. Fourth Ave., Saturday, Sept. 1. The show is a 16-and-over show and tickets are $20 presale and $25 the day of the show.

Follow Pascal Albright on Twitter