What they’re saying:

“”We do not yet have all the answers. What we do know is that such a senseless and terrible act of violence has no place in a free society. I ask all Americans to join me and Michelle in keeping Representative Giffords, the victims of this tragedy, and their families in our prayers.”” – President Barack Obama

“”My thoughts are with the victims of today’s tragic attack, including Congresswoman Giffords, and all their families. I hope for a speedy recovery for the congresswoman and all of the wounded, and that those responsible will be brought to justice quickly. This is a sad day for our country, and acts of senseless violence such as this one affect us all. Congresswoman Giffords is one of our most dynamic members of Congress. As a representative of a neighboring state, I have watched her career closely and admired her work on behalf of the state of Arizona. I know she will be in the thoughts of every American – and in particular those who dedicate their lives to public service as she and her staff have.””

Sen. Harry Reid, D-Nev., Senate Majority Leader

“”I am deeply saddened by reports that Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, Chief Judge John Roll and others were attacked today in Tucson, Arizona. There is no place in our society or discourse for such senseless and unconscionable acts of violence. Gabby is a steadfast representative for southern Arizona and both she and John are dedicated public servants. The Department of Homeland Security has offered all possible assistance to the FBI and the Pima County Sheriff’s Office, who are leading the investigation. My thoughts and prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her family and staff, and all those who were injured in this difficult time.””

Janet Napolitano, Homeland Security Secretary, former Arizona governor

- ””I am horrified by the senseless attack on Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and members of her staff. An attack on one who serves is an attack on all who serve. Acts and threats of violence against public officials have no place in our society. Our prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her staff, all who were injured, and their families. This is a sad day for our country.””

Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, Speaker of the House

“”Congresswoman Giffords is a brilliant and courageous Member of Congress, bringing to Washington the views of a new generation of national leaders. It is especially tragic that she was attacked as she was meeting with her constituents whom she serves with such dedication and distinction.””

Rep. Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., House Minority Leader

“”I am sickened by the horrific attack in Tucson today and saddened by this senseless violence. This is a tragedy for Arizona, our nation, and our democracy. Gabrielle never let fear or intimidation prevent her from serving the people of Arizona. My thoughts and prayers are with Congresswoman Giffords, her husband Mark, her staff, all those who were injured, and their families.””

Rep. Raul M. Grijalva, D-Ariz.

“”I am in shock about the tragic and senseless events that have shaken our community. My heart goes out to the families of the innocent people who lost their lives today and to all of us who will never feel the same again. I ask each and every one of you to join me in a prayer for Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and the many other victims and their families. Let us renew our faith in each other and our community to pull through this tragedy. Now more than ever we must work together to strengthen our democracy.””

Regina Romero, Tucson City Council member

“”Today’s attack upon Congresswoman Giffords, staff and others attending her event in Tucson was senseless and vile. There is no twisted logic to explain this shooting, nor is there any justification. We have no room for violence in our political culture. I served with Congresswoman Giffords for four years in the Arizona State Senate. She is a gifted leader with a bright future. I pray for her full recovery, and for the recovery of others injured in today’s horrific shooting. For the loved ones of those killed, I can only offer the deepest condolences of myself and my family. This is a tragic day for Arizona.””

Ken Bennett, Arizona Secretary of State

“”This is a sad and dark day for our country, and an absolute tragedy that I don’t want to believe could happen here. My heart is shattered for the family of Gabrielle Giffords and for all the innocent people who were killed or hurt today.  Gabrielle is a model Congresswoman – young, brilliant with a tremendous future – who absolutely loves her community and her constituents.  She has also been a true and unwavering friend since our days serving together in the Arizona State Senate, and she is the hardest working and most dedicated public servant I have ever known.  I just can’t believe this has happened.””

Rep. Harry Mitchell, D-Ariz.

“”Whoever did this; whatever their reason, they are a disgrace to Arizona, this country and the human race, and they deserve and will receive the contempt of all decent people and the strongest punishment of the law.””

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz.