V-ball set to take on top-5 foes

It’s the final week of regular season play and the Arizona volleyball team isn’t getting any breaks with its schedule.

Not only do the Wildcats (20-9, 9-7 Pacific 10 Conference) play Wednesday and Friday because of a scheduling conflict, but they also travel to take on No. 2 Cal (24-2, 14-2) and the No. 4 Cardinal in perhaps the toughest weekend of the year.

“”I try to make the best of every situation, regardless of if it’s good or bad,”” head coach Dave Rubio said of the scheduling conflict with Stanford. “”There’s not much I can say about it because I’m not in control of it.””

“”It gives us obviously no preparation time. We practice (Monday), then we have a little bit of time (Tuesday) night and then we play on Wednesday night. It’s definitely more difficult all the way around.””

Even though Rubio doesn’t think the short week is optimal for his team, outside hitter Cursty Jackson has a different outlook on things.

“”I don’t think it’s tough at all, I’m actually glad we have a short week,”” Jackson said. “”Just because we have momentum from the Washington and Washington State games, so I’m excited. It’s always an advantage coming off of a win, but we still have to do what we usually do.””

Arizona takes to the court against the northern California schools again after being swept by both in the first weekend of Pac-10 play, including an embarrassing sweep at the hands of then-No.1 Stanford (22-3, 13-3).

“”Obviously those two teams are terrific,”” Rubio said. “”That just makes it that much more frustrating, when we had Cal down in the first game of the year and lost. But it is what it is. Everyone right now is pretty focused on the (NCAA) tournament.””

Rubio is hoping that enough time — two months to be exact — has passed so that the Arizona team that got beat down the first time around won’t be the one that shows up on Wednesday.

“”Both teams have evolved over the last 12 weeks,”” Rubio said. “”Really, both teams will be completely different, I would think. At least I sure hope we are.””

Arizona takes on Stanford today and California on Friday in the last two regular-season matches of 2010. NCAA tournament selections are made on Sunday.