Football Brief

All of the stars are aligned for the Wildcats to turn in a successful National Signing Day as Arizona head coach Mike Stoops will officially announce his 2011 recruiting class at a 2 p.m. press conference today.

Today is the first day that high school and junior college recruits can officially sign on with their schools and Arizona has 18 commits ready to ink with the Wildcats.  

The headliners

Rob Hankins — LB

The 6-foot-1, 218-pound middle linebacker out of Parish Episcopal School in Dallas, Texas has been committed to the Wildcats since June 20 and is easily one of their top recruits.

Hankins is a four-star recruit according to ESPN and received offers from 20 other schools, including Nebraska, Arkansas and Notre Dame.

Dominique Petties — S/LB

Stoops stole Petties away from his brother Bob Stoops on Monday, as the linebacker/defensive back chose Arizona over Oklahoma. The 6-foot, 210-pound Oklahoma native, who is a four-star recruit according to ESPN, also turned down offers from Pittsburgh and Oklahoma State.Where will Carey go?

The fate of the Wildcats’ 2011 recruiting class lies partially in the hands of KaDeem Carey. The biggest question is clear: Will Carey stay home in Tucson, or head north to Tempe?

Carey gave the Wildcats a “”soft verbal,”” but the Canyon Del Oro running back is torn between Arizona and ASU.

He is expected to decide later today.