Stabilizing the defense

With the football team now several weeks into spring ball, new defensive backs coach and co-defensive coordinator Greg Brown talked with The Arizona Daily Wildcat about his adjustment to the program, his relationship with co-coordinator Tim Kish and life in Tucson.

So, you’re a few weeks into spring ball now, what do you think?

I’m excited for the opportunity to be here, and I’m really looking forward to the coming season. Right now for spring ball, we’re just taking it day by day and trying to get better.

You’re handling the defensive backs; what do you think about the group you have this year?

I’m really excited for their potential. They’re a great group to work with. We’ve got some youth, we’ve got some experience and guys are working hard and trying to limit their mistakes to get better every day.

How has the co-coordinator experience been so far?

It’s great. It’s easy working here. Right now I’m just learning the U of A system because it’s been a heck of a good system (over the last few years), and U of A has been on top in terms of defense. Shoot, two eight-win seasons in a row, I want to get a piece of this pie.

Describe coach Tim Kish, your fellow co-coordinator.

He’s smart, he’s quick with it, he’s tough yet fair with the guys. The players love him and respect him.

How do you complement him as a co-coordinator?

I’ve been more with the secondary, and he’s been more with the linebackers. We’re able to kind of play off each other and what each other’s experiences have been.

Aside from football, what do you think of Tucson?

Can’t beat it. It sure beats shoveling snow back in Boulder.

What do you tell the people in Boulder about the weather?

(Laughs) I rub it in every chance I get. Whenever we have a little heat wave going on, I call there and tell them about it, and they’re all jealous.

Have you found a favorite place to eat in Tucson yet?

That’s a tough question; there are so many great restaurants. I’m a big fan of Mexican food, so I’m in the right place.