Mailbag: Mar. 28

Mock border wall respects all human life

As one of the organizers of the mock border wall, I want to acknowledge the College Republicans’ memorial for Border Patrol agents who have died near the US-Mexico border. We mourn the loss of all human life. Our demonstration is a statement against militarization, not a demonization of individuals.

The mock border wall gives representation to those ignored and forgotten by mainstream media and society. Thirty-six agents from all seven border and customs enforcement agencies have died in the last ten years (The Officer Down Memorial Page, Inc.), and their deaths have been acknowledged and mourned throughout the country. In contrast, the bodies of 59 migrants were recovered between October 2010 and February 2011, and 2,104 bodies have been recovered in the Arizona-Sonora Desert since 2000 (Coalicion de Derechos Humanos), with little recognition or respect. It is their lives we have chosen to memorialize, their lives, which have been rendered invisible, that we have chosen to represent.

Outrage and grief at the violence near the border should not become misguided patriotism that supports increased militarization — this will only lead to more death. Those who truly mourn the loss of life in the US-Mexico border region must stand against militarization policies, and demand policies that respect and protect all human life.

— Elizabeth Dake, History and religious studies senior and Women’s Resource Center intern

Border wall attacks wrong issue

In response to the mock border wall on the UA Mall: Without a doubt, the immigration laws and systems of the United States should be re-examined and, if necessary, updated and amended. The necessity of the actual, physical border barrier and subsequent law enforcement and protection of it, however, should not be up for debate.

It would be naive and outright dangerous to suggest open borders, or to demonize the Border Patrol and the idea of a fence. While the exact agenda of the current “”mock border fence”” group is unclear, the exhibit itself seems to do both of these things.

This country needs to know who is coming in and who is leaving at all times. Their status as a U.S. citizen, or citizen of another country is irrelevant — there are both dangerous and friendly people crossing the border constantly (made clear by Border Patrol agents who have given their lives in the line of duty). It is imperative that law enforcement officials know who those people are (U.S. citizens leaving or entering included), in order to protect this country as a whole.

Yes, debate about our immigration laws needs to happen. But until this exhibit’s organizers offer a plan for (somehow) removing the border fence and border patrol, all while maintaining national security, it seems they are attacking entirely the wrong issues with their fence on the Mall.

— Alex Yang, Aerospace engineering junior

Students must bear down for education

The UA not only has a great basketball team; but also a sharp student body, an excellent law college, and a superb faculty. Why not put all these brains to the task of getting the Arizona state Legislature and governor to support the Arizona constitutional mandate to provide education as nearly free as possible to all Arizona students. The Legislature has done that for elementary and high school students, but has fallen woefully short of that mandate for college students. The Arizona Supreme Court in 1935 said college fees should be neither excessive nor unreasonable. Our current planned tuition jumps are both excessive and unreasonable. Bear down, ‘Cats, for an education as nearly free as possible as mandated in our Arizona State constitution!

— Bill Nicholson, Retired educator, UA alumnus