ASUA Votes on Election Dates, Supreme Court Nominees (Notebook 9/19)

Marisa Favero
The members of ASUA come together on Wednesday, Sep. 13, 2017 in the Pima conference room at the Student Union to have their weekly meeting.

Spring elections, club funding, and upcoming campaigns were on the agenda for the Associated Students of the University of Arizona, the university’s student governing body, at its Sept. 19 meeting in the Pima Room of the Student Union Memorial Center. 

ASUA Spring Elections 

Marlon Freeman, ASUA Elections Commissioner, presented plans to the Senate for ASUA’s spring primary and general elections for college senators and executive officers. 

According to Freeman, the details and marketing of the upcoming elections are critical to increasing interest and engagement in ASUA. 

With the approval of the Senate, the UA student body will vote on primary ASUA candidates Feb. 19 and 20 and shortly afterward, on Feb. 26 and 27, select next year’s senators, president, and vice presidents.  

During the campaign, ASUA plans to hold several official events for students to get to know the candidates and discuss issues that impact the student body.  

Club Funding

At the most recent ASUA Appropriations Board meeting, over $10,000 was allocated to campus organizations. 

The Filipino American Student Association and The Wildlife Society both received funding to attend national conferences to connect and learn from their clubs’ chapters at other universities around the country. 

RELATED: A mechanical bull and an ASUA meeting (ASUA Notebook 9/12/2018)

The Senate approved all the board’s recommendation for club funding. ASUA still has over $200,000 available for clubs to apply for. 

Supreme Court Nominees and Upcoming Campaigns 

Bennett Adamson, senator for the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, presented the Senate with two new ASUA Supreme Court Justice nominees, chosen by the selection committee, for Senate approval.

The ASUA Supreme Court is responsible for ensuring the fairness of elections and resolving any constitutional questions for both ASUA and the Graduate and Professional Student Council. 

The new justices will be James E. Rogers College of Law students Fabian Eichentopf and Samuel Preminger, bringing the total count to five members. 

Rocque Perez, an at-large senator, highlighted ASUA’s ‘I Will’ week, which focuses on combating sexual assault, spreading awareness, and challenging campus culture. ASUA plans to continue to expand ‘I Will’ week this coming semester. 

The ASUA Senate will meet again on Sept 26. at 6 p.m. in the Pima Room of the SUMC. Check back to the Daily Wildcat next to keep up to date on ASUA and their meetings.

Follow Lauren Albrecht on Twitter