Blog: Arizona Board of Regents meeting, Sept. 27

Meeting adjourned at 11:10 a.m.

11:00 a.m.
Regent Mark Killian tells NAU researchers that their efforts could improve the range lands across Arizona.

10:40 a.m.
Regent LuAnn Leonard, in response to NAU’s research presentation on genetic biodiversity: “We need to spark science interests throughout the state.”

Professors said they are working to make the research accessible to K-12 institutions.

10:20 a.m.
NAU President John Haeger and a team of researchers are presenting their report on research initiatives, focusing on biology and biodiversity preservation.

The second portion of the board’s meeting has begun.

4:00 p.m.
The board is in the process of updating its logo, and hopes to have a new version of it by the end of the calendar year.

3:40 p.m.
Budget requests have been approved by the board, and will be submitted to the governor for approval.

3:20 p.m.
President Hart requests $8 million of continuation funding for medical education at the College of Medicine in Phoenix.
Additional request includes $6.3 million to invest in the core mission of the land grant university, which promotes university impact on Tucson and Southern Arizona.
$40 million for “big, bold, bodacious research instruments” to fulfill research commitments, with the idea to attract big research teams to work at the UA.
Another request of $3 million would go to revamping the animal sciences area, which she argues would make the UA a leader in the area.

3:15 p.m.
Arizona State University President Michael Crow requests $7 million for “computational investments,” to provide more technological resources on campus. An additional $35 million request would go to reshaping Hayden Library, which he said is designed in such a way that is no longer relevant to today’s technology.

3:10 p.m.
NAU President John Haeger requests $41 million overall for fiscal year 2014 to pay for building renewals and mathematics curriculum improvements and other expenses.

2:50 p.m.
Regents report an increase in enrollment across all universities from 134,704 last year to 137,600 this year.

They also report an increase in degrees awarded since 2008, from 26,956 to 32,700 across all universities.

Fiscal year 2014 budget request includes continuation funding of $34.7 million to $47.2 million of new funding.

2:40 p.m.
Regent Anne Mariucci: Each university finished the academic year with an increase in its net assets, with $61 million for the UA. Marriuchi added that it would have been better to invest the money into something worthwhile than to “sock it away.”

The board went into recess at noon, and resumed with their consent agenda at about 2:40 p.m.

10:00 a.m.
Regent John Huppenthal expresses concern about online education, adding that he doesn’t want it to replace current methods of teaching throughout universities. Other speakers have said a collaboration between universities and online education resources like Pearson Education would be ideal.

“Technology can help us improve the quality of the student experience,” said Northern Arizona University President John Haeger. “And that’s really what we’re after.”

9:38 a.m.
Arizona State University President Michael Crow, speaking about the board’s newly formed Enterprise Executive Committee, calls their goals for the three universities “four inches short of impossible,” citing as an example a need for $1.2 billion to reach the UA’s research goal.

9:05 a.m.
The UA’s Graduate and Professional Student Council President Zachary Brooks has asked that the board put more emphasis on graduate and professional students, citing a lack of any mentions of graduate and professional students in parts of the board’s 2020 Vision Statement.

9:00 a.m.
The first Arizona Board of Regents meeting of the 2012 fall semester has been called to order.