24 departments expected to hire students for fall job openings

Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat

April Putney, left, an anthropology and studio art major, and Lene Carroll, a history and chemistry major, have worked at the UA Museum of Art since they where freshman.  They  work as security for the museum before they have class at 2pm on a monday
Ginny Polin
Lisa Beth Earle/ Arizona Daily Wildcat April Putney, left, an anthropology and studio art major, and Lene Carroll, a history and chemistry major, have worked at the UA Museum of Art since they where freshman. They work as security for the museum before they have class at 2pm on a monday

If you are hoping to find a job for the fall semester, the Wildcat Student Employment Fair could be the answer.

Currently 24 different UA departments are signed up to participate in the fair.

“”We just want to connect students and available jobs on campus,”” said Susan Miller, marketing and special events senior coordinator for Career Services.

Miller said the event has been very successful in the past.

“”It’s everything from one to five to dozens of employers are looking for,”” Miller said.

Some employers expected to participate this year are the UofA Bookstore, UA Museum of Art, UApresents, Student Recreation Center and Arizona Student Unions.

“”They are extremely flexible with their hours as well as accommodating in general,”” said Amanda Gaeta, marketing assistant for the Arizona Student Unions. “”It makes it a great way to be involved.””

Students who are hired at the Arizona Student Unions will receive a 50 percent discount on meals while they are working.

Miller noted that there are many benefits to having a job on campus, the first being that on-campus jobs know academics are students’ number one priority.

“”You can feel very connected to the university,”” Miller said.

Though the career fair will be in an informal setting, Miller suggested looking neat and clean for the event because employers are looking to hire students.

Miller also suggested that students keep social networking in mind.

“”Clean up your public image. More and more it seems employers are checking out those sources,”” Miller said.

For students looking for jobs beyond campus, Sarah Diaz, assistant director of professional development for the Eller College of Management, has some tips to keep in mind while applying.

“”For resumes, my strongest recommendation is tailoring your resume for each specific position in which you are applying,”” Diaz said.

Diaz recommended writing your resume in a way which highlights transferrable skills that fit the position and values that fit the company.

“”Don’t just list job duties, such as ‘waited tables’ or ‘ran a cash register.’ Describe skills you are learning that will be applicable to any job, such as ‘customer service’ and ‘conflict resolution,'”” Diaz said. “”Give context and specifics whenever possible to show results.””

Diaz also said to always have someone proofread your essay, particularly someone with a critiquing eye.

“”We had someone apply for a position in our office once, and the applicant misspelled her own name,”” Diaz said. “”I’m sure if someone would have looked it over, they would have caught the mistake. Let’s just say she wasn’t offered the position.””

It’s also important to go into an interview with knowledge about the place you want to work and why you would be a good addition.

“”For interviews, the number one recommendation I hear from employers is to do your company research,”” Daiz said. “”Don’t go into an interview blind.””

Diaz suggested doing your research by checking out the company website and familiarizing yourself with their mission statement and values.

Diaz said the common question in every job interview is “”Do you have a question for us?””

“”Come up with two or three really intelligent and insightful questions to ask them,”” Diaz said. “”Have some prepared, and never leave an interview without asking a question.””

View a complete list of participating employers here:

http://www.career.arizona.edu/Events/EventList.aspx?eID=WSEF2010

Should I include high school information?

High school informantion is sometimes listed for freshmen and sophomore level college students who may be seeking internships and summer jobs in order to emphasize their academic record and activities from high school. There are two common instances when high school information should be included on your resume:

Your high school achievement is outstanding. For instance, if you were your high school class valedictorian or president.

If your high school itself is unique in some way. Benson Polytechnic High School for instance, in Portland, Ore., is known for science and technology.

In general, be looking for ways to demonstrate your skills in college, and delete high school information as soon as possible.

Should I list all work experience, even if it is not related to what I am applying for?

The simple answer is no. It is not necessary, nor even desirable, to list all jobs on your resume. Ask yourself, “”Does this experience help me demonstrate skills that are relevant to the opportunity I am applying for?””  Often your academic group projects, research papers and campus involvement are better demonstrations of your skills than a survival job.

Should I keep my resume to one page?

Most undergraduate students have a one-page resume. Master’s level students might have one or two pages. In general, you should keep your resume to one page.

As for creating more space on your resume, you can play with different font styles and font sizes.  Start with 11-point Arial or 12-point Times New Roman and 1 inch margins top, bottom and sides. Then if you go over onto 2 pages, you can start editing and reformatting. 

How should I incorporate relevant coursework?

It is fine to include under the EDUCATION section a list of 6 to 8 classes that indicate your knowledge and preparation for the job you are seeking. Classes are often listed for students trying to get internships who have not had much work experience. Listing classes is optional if you have significant experience in your work field.

—taken from http://www.career.arizona.edu/students/default.aspx?resumefaq