Police Beat: October 29

When the chips are down

An unknown woman was reported for shoplifting from Highland Market on Oct. 17.

A University of Arizona Police Department officer responded to Highland Market after receiving a call from the store’s security officer. The security officer described the woman and that he saw her walking on the east side of Highland Avenue, but that a search of the area yielded no results.

The officer contacted the security officer upon arrival and was told the woman was carrying a bag of chips. It appeared as though she was going to open the bag and start eating the chips without paying for them.

The woman saw the security officer and stopped trying to open the bag; she placed it under her arms and got in line to pay for the chips. The security officer said he believed he recognized the woman from previous encounters at the Highland Market under similar circumstances.

The woman was in a long line at the register and began to move toward the register near the exit. Once she was near the exit, she ran out the door and went toward Highland Avenue.

The officer opened the door and yelled for her to come back and pay for the chips, but the woman just put her head down and ran across the street. The security officer said that once she crossed the street, she began to walk north on Highland Avenue, and he lost sight of her.

The officer asked if there was any surveillance video. The officer was told the security officer had not looked at the tapes yet but that they probably recorded what occurred.

Don’t do it for the money

Two UA students were diverted to the Dean of Students Office in reference to a charge of minor in possession of spirituous liquor in body on Oct. 19.

A UAPD officer saw two men walking southbound on Park Avenue around 1 a.m. One individual stumbled slightly as he walked, and the other also stumbled and swayed side-to-side. The officer made contact with the individuals to inquire why they were walking in such a way.

The individuals identified themselves. The one’s eyes were red and glassy, his face was flushed, his speech was slurred and an odor of intoxicants emitted from his breath as he spoke. The other had red eyes and an odor of intoxicants on his breath. Neither gave indications of being in medical distress.

One individual repeatedly said another police department had recently contacted him three times in reference to alcohol violations and that he would lose a $30,000 scholarship if it happened again. Neither admitted to consuming alcohol or said where they had come from.

Just can’t stay away

A non-UA affiliate was arrested for violating his exclusionary order on Oct. 19.

A UAPD officer was on bike patrol above the Manuel T. Pacheco Integrated Learning Center when he noticed a man walking toward the Student Union Memorial Center. The officer recognized the man from previous contacts and knew he had an exclusionary order.

The officer made contact with the man and asked if his exclusionary order was still active. The man responded that he did not know.

The officer asked the individual where he went on campus. The man informed the officer that he went to the ILC. He was using a computer when he decided to get some coffee from the SUMC.

The officer informed the man that he had violated his exclusionary order. The man told the officer he only came on campus because his computer was not working and he needed to use a library computer.

The officer was also told the individual had an outstanding Tucson Police Department warrant. The individual was placed under full custodial arrest, was handcuffed and was placed in the back of a police vehicle.