POBEAT: 8/22/16

Not Here for the Heroines

On Aug. 6 around 5:15 p.m., University of Arizona Police Department officers responded to a call at the UA Main Library in reference to two people attempting to steal laptops. The pair was stopped in the ILC.

A worker in the OSCR lab said his bag and headphones were missing. The two people, a man and a woman, both denied attempting theft. The woman attempted to unplug two laptops when the laptop user was in the restroom. When she was stopped, she denied attempting to steal the laptops and said she was going to take the laptops to the front desk.

The woman consented to have her bag searched by officers, where the officers found a pair of red headphones that said UA Library and had a barcode on them. The woman was then arrested for theft. She said it was an accident and that she had forgotten the headphones were in her bag.

The man had entered a locked Cat Card area and had asked about an unattended laptop in the area. The man’s bag was searched and officers found drug paraphernalia — two syringes and a silver-colored spoon with residue wrapped up.

The man said he used the items for heroin. He was arrested for attempted theft and possession of drug paraphernalia. Both the man and woman were served exclusionary orders with a one-year exclusion due to previous contacts.

The Name’s Mary … Mary Jane

A UAPD officer was conducting a speed enforcement operation on westbound Speedway Boulevard, west of Plumer Avenue, when the officer saw a car going an estimated 50 mph in a 35 mph area on Aug. 4.

The UAPD officer pointed a LIDAR device at the car and found it was traveling at 62 mph. The officer made contact with the driver, who gave her name but said she didn’t have her license on her. She said she thought the speed limit was 40 mph and that she sped up because another vehicle had followed her closely. When asked, the driver said she did not know her social security number because she never uses it. The officer then started to suspect she may be not be telling the full truth about her identity and asked who the driver really was.

The driver then said another name and that she didn’t have a license and had borrowed the car. She said she didn’t want to have her car impounded again. The officer found out her license was suspended and arrested the driver for driving with a suspended license and false reporting of identity.

The officer then conducted an inventory of her car, and as that happened, the driver called out. When the officer asked what she needed, the driver said there was a marijuana pipe in one of the bags in the car that belonged to her boyfriend, along with other drug paraphernalia, and that they both use it. The driver was also charged with possession of drug paraphernalia.

Follow Ava Garcia on Twitter.